Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2005, 06:32 AM

Default books on human condition

im looking for some profound psychology writings that analyze the human condition and mind and all of that, as i am trying to figure out what will make me more happy/content in life. im looking for scholarly work from respected doctors - not your clcihe hippies or doctor phill's, but not too boring, wordy, complicated that it makes your eyes bleed and has you referencing a dictionary every five minutes.

that guy posted that psychologoists beliefs about self actualization. i thought it was pretty lame.

im looking for work that focuses on our lust for power and the way we manipluate the world around us and judge everything from our human perspective. im already fairly well versed in buddhist beleifs and would perfer something western - probally the right book by jung or something, im boring nietzsche.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:55 AM

Default Re: books on human condition

I mentioned this in your other thread, but I can't recommend Man's Search for Meaning highly enough. In my opinion, you've got nothing to lose by reading it because even if you end up absolutely hating it, it's a short read [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].

The Conquest of Happiness by Bertrand Russell

Learned Optimism and Authentic Happiness by Martin Seligman

The Road Less Traveled by M. Scott Peck

also, a good bit off-topic but still related to psychology and the pursuit of happiness, another one I can't recommend strongly enough is Flow by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi. Great great book.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:14 AM

Journey to Ixtlan

Carlos Castaneda (UCLA anthropologist)

EDIT: And stop masturbating or I'll be forced to cut it off.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Journey to Ixtlan

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're going to read his books, approach them as fiction, because that's pretty much what they are - Castaneda claimed to have been mentored by this Yaqui shaman who taught him incredible things about the nature of the universe, blah blah blah, but when pressed he provided no evidence of any of it ever occurring (and still hasn't). So if Castaneda is your speed, fine, but don't be fooled into believing that it's non-fiction.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?
Old 05-18-2005, 07:34 AM

No one knows for sure. No one has any evidence that there was no Yaqui. But that doesn't even really matter. What is improtant is that it is a remarkable work explaining the human condition better than any other work fiction or non-fiction that I have ever seen. Do you not agree?

Castaneda may have created the Don Juan charachter simply as a vessel to get his message across, but the meassage is still valid even if Don Juan isn't real, which is really impossible to specualte about anyway.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

No one knows for sure. No one has any evidence that there was no Yaqui. But that doesn't even really matter. What is improtant is that it is a remarkable work explaining the human condition better than any other work fiction or non-fiction that I have ever seen. Do you not agree?

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't agree or disagree here; I never read it. I read about a chapter of "Don Juan" but then I found out that Castaneda apparently made up all of his Yaqui tutelage, so I stopped reading it and sold it on amazon.

But that certainly doesn't mean they can't be enjoyed - like a fellow on the Everything2 page put it, "I love the books (at least the early ones) but prefer to view them as major literary works rather than straightforward anthropology"
Old 05-18-2005, 09:03 AM

Go check out 'Games People Play' and books on Transactional Analysis.

Material from the 60's. Terms are easy to understand. These works are in a field called 'social psychiatry' (different from social psychology) that went by the wayside when medicaitons came into the picture to treat mental conditions.

This area gives a framework for all communictation between individuals and small groups.

If studied and reflected upon it will give you a great understanding on why you and others do the things they do.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:40 PM

I highly recommend "The Importance of Living" by Lin Yutang.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Journey to Ixtlan

should i read that one first or the previous ones?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-09-2005, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
im looking for some profound psychology writings that analyze the human condition and mind and all of that, as i am trying to figure out what will make me more happy/content in life....
im looking for work that focuses on our lust for power and the way we manipluate the world around us and judge everything from our human perspective.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I'm not sure there is a work that can fit both of these critieria, I'd recommend Das Ich und Das Es (literally translating to "The I and the It" but you'll find it under The Ego and the Id on Amazon most likely)

Freud seemed to have a pretty good handle on our lust for power and manipulation and things of that nature. That book is a classic. I wouldn't call it an easy read but it has a lot of great ideas.