Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2005, 07:43 AM

Default Alan Keyes\' Daughter Coming Out

Alan Keyes' Daughter Coming Out

(CBS) The 19-year-old daughter of Alan Keyes has a Valentine for the anti-gay rights conservative pundit and frequent Republican candidate.

Maya Marcel-Keyes will be making her first public appearance as a gay activist at a Valentine Day's rally in front of the Maryland State House, says Dan Furmansky, the leader of Equality Maryland, a gay rights group.

Last summer her father, a conservative pundit and frequent Republican candidate, caused a stir during the Republican convention by labeling Vice President Dick Cheney's lesbian daughter a sinner and calling homosexuality "selfish hedonism."

"It was kind of strange that he said it like a hypothetical," she told the Washington Post. "It was really kind of unpleasant."

Marcel-Keyes told the Post her parents have thrown her out of the house, stopped speaking to her and refuse to pay for college because she is gay. She said she loves her parents.

Keyes' Web site says he is against "the homosexual rights agenda, including same-sex marriage."

Marcel-Keyes grew up in Darnestown, Md., attended a conservative Catholic school for girls in McLean, Va., spent a year in the south of India advocating tribal rights, and plans to attend Brown University this fall, according to an Equality Maryland press release.

Furmansky told CBSNews.com that Marcel-Keyes would not be speaking to the media ahead of Monday's rally, and probably not afterward, either.

Bloggers have identified her Web site as http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=Xmisled0youthX. The author of the blog says it is public and she has nothing to hide.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:46 AM

Default Re: Alan Keyes\' Daughter Coming Out

[ QUOTE ]
Marcel-Keyes told the Post her parents have thrown her out of the house, stopped speaking to her and refuse to pay for college because she is gay. She said she loves her parents.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point of this article is to show:

1) To show that Keyes positions on homosexuality are misguided, wrong? Partly I would think.

2) To embarass Keyes? Substantially.

3) Disparage the right wing through guilt by association since Keyes is a right winger then Keyes is being insensitive to family and is thus a bad person and hypocrite? Substantially.

The quote from the article at least shows that Keyes is being conistent with his values.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:20 PM

You have to be a pretty sad individual to disown your son/daughter for being homosexual. He does happen to be a republican, but I don't think it matters so much. Cheney hasn't disowned his daughter, and I highly doubt Bush would disown one of his. JUst shows how misguided some people can be, and the right's intolerance of gays as pertaining to marriage is no help
Old 02-14-2005, 12:38 PM

This is a form of "tough love". If Keyes cut off a 19 year old daughter with a drug or drink problem, people would be more understanding of what he is doing. Keyes (unlike the many phonies out there) believes his daughter is going down a similar path.

The easy thing would be to live and let live, but Keyes wants his daughter to grow out of what he perceives as her affliction. I know this is hard for people that don't really believe in anything to understand, and he may or may not be right, but it shows he stands up for what he believes, and cares more for his daughter's long term future than her short term convenience.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:28 PM

Yes, maybe she'll "change her mind".

Closedminded dumbasses like Keyes are part of what's wrong with America. America was founded on diversity and non-conformity, yet this is exactly where republicans are trying to take us now.

Would you like to know what I believe?

I believe I'd like my son to grow up in a country where people are accepted for who they are as long as what they do doesn't adversely affect others not involved with them(thus avoiding your inevitable "Dahmer wasn't accepted for who HE was..")
I believe that diversity is part of what makes out country great.
I believe that people like you have the right to say any moronic thing you like.
I believe you exercise that specific area of that right far too often.
I believe GWB doesn't give 2 shi[/b]ts about gay marriage; it was just a platform to help shore up the intolerant moron vote.
And I believe I'm about done posting in the Politics forum. Just a bunch of people going back and forth, no one learning anything, and most of the people who are the main protagonists of this kind of discussion probably don't know a THING about poker; which happens to be the main format of this website. I'd prefer cranks such as yourself find a crank website that better suits your needs, which appears to be many, since most like INTELLIGENT discourse here. But hey, it's a free country(mostly).
Old 02-14-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, maybe she'll "change her mind".

Closedminded dumbasses like Keyes are part of what's wrong with America. America was founded on diversity and non-conformity, yet this is exactly where republicans are trying to take us now.

Would you like to know what I believe?

I believe I'd like my son to grow up in a country where people are accepted for who they are as long as what they do doesn't adversely affect others not involved with them(thus avoiding your inevitable "Dahmer wasn't accepted for who HE was..")
I believe that diversity is part of what makes out country great.
I believe that people like you have the right to say any moronic thing you like.
I believe you exercise that specific area of that right far too often.
I believe GWB doesn't give 2 shi[/b]ts about gay marriage; it was just a platform to help shore up the intolerant moron vote.
And I believe I'm about done posting in the Politics forum. Just a bunch of people going back and forth, no one learning anything, and most of the people who are the main protagonists of this kind of discussion probably don't know a THING about poker; which happens to be the main format of this website. I'd prefer cranks such as yourself find a crank website that better suits your needs, which appears to be many, since most like INTELLIGENT discourse here. But hey, it's a free country(mostly).

[/ QUOTE ]

Ni han!
Old 02-14-2005, 03:43 PM

Alan Keyes has his religious beliefs, and you have yours. Your post does not seem to be very tolerant of his beliefs.

You preach tolerance, but have been found wanting of being truly tolerant yourself. Of course, this is true of many if not most of those that preach the loudest about tolerance.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You preach tolerance, but have been found wanting of being truly tolerant yourself. Of course, this is true of many if not most of those that preach the loudest about tolerance.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's silly to ask tolerant people to be more tolerant of intolerant beliefs. It's like saying: "you shouldn't consider Nazis as bigoted hatemongers, after all they're just standing up for what they believe in, good for them!"

When religious beliefs and their proponents become forces for oppression and the perpetuation of atavistic stereotypes then the tolerant and reasonable person is obligated to stop tolerating and start protesting/ objecting, etc.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's silly to ask tolerant people to be more tolerant of intolerant beliefs. It's like saying: "you shouldn't consider Nazis as bigoted hatemongers, after all they're just standing up for what they believe in, good for them!"

When religious beliefs and their proponents become forces for oppression and the perpetuation of atavistic stereotypes then the tolerant and reasonable person is obligated to stop tolerating and start protesting/ objecting, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

The man speaks the truth. Should we be "tolerant" of certain Muslim beliefs that women should be subservient and that death is normal punishment for disobeyance and a weak dowry?

Nice try.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a form of "tough love".

[/ QUOTE ]
How do you know that? There's nothing about that in the article and I can't find Keyes having made any public statement about it at all. For all you know, Keyes's feelings for his daughter aren't much different from his feelings toward all other lesbians and his reaction is a form of "tough hate."

[ QUOTE ]
but it shows he stands up for what he believes

[/ QUOTE ]
Which is a value only for those that admire or tolerate bigoted jerks. Nobody says, for example, that holocaust perpetrators, or hate-murderers of gays were wrong but "at least they stood up for what they believe," or were willing to act on their beliefs, or that you have to give them credit for consistency for not calling it off, and so on.

Keyes's bigotry runs so deep he's willing to extend it to members of his own family. He therefore flunks another moral test.