Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What activities do you usually do (>50%) while playing poker?
Other 10 9.26%
Nothing at all (Just poker) 3 2.78%
E-mail/Instant Messaging 23 21.30%
Exercise 0 0%
Surf web 21 19.44%
Browse/Post 2+2 27 25.00%
Read books/magazines 3 2.78%
Listen to music 21 19.44%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2005, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Where do you draw the ethical line?

Apparently, you haven't read about Bogglegate. Maybe we can get El Diablo (and Daryn soon after) in here to give some perspective on this.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:26 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!

[ QUOTE ]
My issue with this situation is that you have an unfair advantage over the other players.

If everyone folds, you take down the pot without showing your cards.

If someone calls you down, and shows down a better hand, the deck will be declared foul at showdown, and you don't lose anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless they decide that you knew that the deck was fouled. Then the rest of the table gets to split whatever you put into the pot, as well as getting their own bets back.

[ QUOTE ]
Given this unfair advantage, you have a moral obligation to inform the table of the fouled deck when you notice it.

[/ QUOTE ]

In addition to it being a moral obligation, it is an obligation imposed by the rules.

-Mike
Old 02-11-2005, 05:59 PM

So, no one's mentioned this part of it yet: If I say nothing and my hand doesn't get shown down, that means that until we get a new setup, I know that the deck contains an extra A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and (presumably) no one else knows. This gives me an unfair advantage on later hands as well. I know that that card is more likely than any other to be in someone's hand or to show up on the board, since there are two of them that can come out, which affects the odds.