Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2005, 10:34 AM

Default I told Hellmuth I knew he was weak and he folded, +EV play?

I was watching an old WPT episode as I was falling asleep and I had the following dream. I am wondering if this would be a +EV play for me if I actually tried it:

Early in a Tournament.
I hold QQ on the button and raise 3x the BB. Hellmuth who limped preflop calls, all but Phil fold.

Flop
AK4
Hellmuth bets 3/4 pot. I dont have him on a big ace because he would have raised preflop. I think he would have checked a set to me and I have read that he stays away from coinflip situations early in tournaments so I push (Phil has about 4x the pot and I have him covered.)

Phil goes into a song and dance, bemoaning how he has a good hand and how he 'knows i'm bluffing with an underpair'

after a couple minutes of his acting like a baby I say:
'Phil, you know you're going to fold, I know youre going to fold, so why don't you just fold and stop wasting everybody's time'

He mucks and shows his KQ and says something about how I have a lot to learn and that he was going to call but my table talk exuded confidence that I would not have if I was on a bluff and therefore he knew I had big slick.

When playing against someone who seldom talks trash at the table if they start talking after they have pushed their chips (on the river) it usually is a sign of a big hand (when someone pushes and starts chatting on the turn it is usually a big hand OR a big draw - they are chatting because they are relaxed having the hard part of the hand already over.) I use this read a lot when I am playing and have found it to be true for the most part. (Note, people who talk regularly during their hands should obviously not always be read as strong)

I know that Hellmuth has observed this trend in his poker playing and I know that my table image is of a college kid who watches too much WPT and plays too much partypoker (thus making him less suspicious of a reverse-tell)

My question is: Is it worthwhile to try to give a player who is known for excellent hand rading abilities a reverse tell or is this too dangerous of a play and I should just sit quietly all the time (as I normally do) because the opponents great hand reading ability will lead him to the fact that I am trying to send a reverse tell and therefore am weak...

would you try a reverse tell?

do you think that talking trash and telling Hellmuth to fold would be a +EV play?

-Steve
Old 02-03-2005, 04:09 PM

Default Re: I told Hellmuth I knew he was weak and he folded, +EV play?

And the follow-up question: if you tried this and it worked, would you show your QQ after he mucks?
Old 02-03-2005, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And the follow-up question: if you tried this and it worked, would you show your QQ after he mucks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most definitely , I want to see the steam coming
out of his ears.....Awfully good entertainment even if
it 'gives up' a play.....LOL
Old 02-03-2005, 07:42 PM

Whenever people try to read tells, they invariably will read them wrong as often as they read them right and it just confuses the situation.

A nice lady last Friday night at Foxwoods was at my table and I had A-X [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], got the two-flush on the flop, check-raised, bet the turn, caught it on the river, and she stopped to think about it. She asked me if I had the flush, which I thought was obvious as my precise holding, so I asked her why didn't she fold yet, as I figured she figured what I had and just wanted to waste time. When I asked her that, she immediately called and lost, because she thought that meant I was bluffing.

I don't know.

I'm sure it would make for great TV, dude, to do that to Phil and then flash your hand when he folded.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 02-03-2005, 08:25 PM

Alls you have to do is say phil if you call you have a 10% chance of being knocked out of this tournament, and he'll be like damn thats right I can outplay you later and fold. Thus bringing you the pot.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:42 AM

Any time someone starts yapping like that its been my experience there weak.