Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2005, 01:56 AM

Default Re: Playing NL with a cap and short buyins

[ QUOTE ]
this game will play gigantic compared to 6/12. probably bigger than a 20/40.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the bankroll for 10-20, getting close to 20/40. I play 6/12 because it's so loose. But as I said, I'd rather play NL.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:48 PM

The game doesn't really go any more. The softness of the game varies considerably. If it's shorthanded with me, you may not think it's very soft, but sometimes people just gave their money away. Usually, it's somewhere in between, like most games. But, as I said, the game has dried up since they spread 80/160 every day now.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:50 PM

You are basically wrong if I understand the rules of the game. You would go broke faster than fast in the spread limit game at Bay 101 playing like this.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:07 AM

How do you figure I'm wrong? Max. Buy-in = 15 BB's. You need to be stealing blinds. The higher the blinds/antes, the looser your starting hands need to be. And if you don't believe me read ToP's chapter called "Ante Structure." I've never played this game though, it's my basic thoughts on how a game like this should be played.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:17 PM

you're playing essentially a $150 big bet game with $30 in blinds.

You can play it like a 150/150 LHE game where your opponents unwittingly underbet a lot and the blinds are tiny.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:09 PM

The question is what are the buy ins. You seem to think it's 300 max, while I would think it's 300 min. If you're correct, then I wouldn't even bother to play the game. If I'm correct, I may move to Phoenix.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:03 PM

Since he says in his title "with a cap" and mentions 300 as the buy-in, I thought that perhaps 300 is the cap. I still think it is. I agree that I would avoid this game altogether.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:07 PM

I guess the lesson is, don't take anything you hear at the poker table as gospel. I just called, and talked to the floorman, and almost everything I wrote was wrong.

The blinds are $3 & $5, and the minimum buyin is $100, with max $300. The only thing I got right was the $150 cap. So it looks like it plays just like an ordinary NL game, but with a $150 cap on bets/raises.

I've thought about the cap more, and here are some changes I think it would make. Certainly trying to go all-in with a draw to ensure you see both the turn and river is now out. Instead if I had position, it might make sense to just make it a pot sized bet, in case I miss my draw on the turn. And if I'm out of position, I might make it a smaller bet and check-raise $150 to anyone who reraised me. Of course if you are short stacked you can probably still get all-in most times with a check-raise.

Once the pot hits $300 or so, it basically becomes a $150 limit game, and most times you would almost always want to bet or raise the cap. But it's also likely you or your opponent will be short and all-in pretty quickly.