Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Dealer Rant (NYC club)

[ QUOTE ]
2) Don't be a cheapskate. Even if I won $1 on a hand I tip that $1.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd tip $1 on a $1 pot? You must be every dealer's dream!
Old 01-05-2005, 02:46 PM

Notably better, though not perfect, dealers at the club downtown where they actually have a competent floor. At NYPC, the stuff you listed can happen. I've heard AP is worse (and I've played with two of their dealers who are horrible people -- including the "catman"), although I've not played there since the days when players did the dealing. I'm amazed that anyone can think #3 is acceptable. IT IS NOT. See how friendly you feel when the player goes runner/runner to beat you. When players toss in their hands, it's not the dealers place to "protect" them. I won a pot with 10 high awhile back when a player misread my hand (I didn't in any way shoot an angle) thought I had a flush and mucked his (presumably better) hand. Dealer saw it and appropriately said nothing.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:56 PM

can someone private message me with the location of the APC. Its one of the only places in NYC that I have not been too. that at the WSPC downtown. I've been meaning to check it out for awhile now...

thanks
Old 01-05-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Granted, I haven't played B&M in some years, but tipping a dollar every time you win a pot is, IMO, ridiculous. Two thoughts, assume 40 h/hr, you win 3-4 pots/hr, you are tipping away ~25% of your expected earn. Second, does the dealer deserve to take $40 an hour in tips, even if it is all he's making? I don't think I'd play anywhere where I felt like not tipping might have consequences..

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you figure this??? It all makes no sense. How is $4 an hour equal to 25% of my expected earn? What is my expected earn in a 5/5 NL game (IYHO)?

Dealers typically work 3 out of 4 half-hour shifts at most -- so they don't make $40 an hour... also, regardless of the rate, there will always be some players who do not tip so they will not get $1 for each hand. The dealers aren't starving but I am pretty certain they are not making $40/hour either.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:04 PM

I've played in a bunch of NYC clubs. I've never played in the one to which you're referring, but I am aware of it.

If I ever witnessed something like what you described in #3, I would rack up immediately, have a stern conversation with the floor, and NEVER return. That is absolutely ridiculous.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2) Don't be a cheapskate. Even if I won $1 on a hand I tip that $1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that ANY of you care but I feel like I need to defend my good name here. My avg tip in this game is actually $3 and if I win a pot where my opponent is all in (i usually have him covered [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ) I tip a redbird. If I get a nice suckout its usually $10. The reason that I tip so much is a little bit because others are tipping this much and in such a sketchy club I do fear being set-up. The reason I didnt tip this dealer on the $15 pot (of which $5 was mine) is because I find him to be completely obnoxious with his 'nice hand' crap. When he said it this time I angrily retorted 'Benny, I stole the blinds, quit begging' This was out of character for me and I later apologized tipping him $1 when he left.

They do have two dealers who actually are competent dealers, one of them got in 22 hands in a 1/2 hour shift two nights ago (avg is 13 hands at this club) so I tipped him $5 even though I hadn't won a pot. The next dealer saw this and asked if he could beat 22 hands if he could get a redbird. I agreed, he got 19 hands (but one was an all in where I took 3 minutes to muck) so I toked him anyway.

I am a generous tipper damnit! But the Ni Han on a $15 pot is obnoxious and utterly rediculous.

Rant over.

-Steve
Old 01-05-2005, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The most frustrating thing that he did however was when the hand got to the river and there was a big bet that someone was thinking about calling, he would shuffle the deck... FACE UP!!! He would expose nearly 1/2 the deck while there were big calls to be made, it was brutal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this thread has paid enough attention to this, which seems to be the most egregious violation of protocol here.

I agree that #2 is annoying... and while #3 is clearly wrong, it's fixable by calling the floor, and it's not a frequently occurring situation.

This situation in #1, however, can do frequent and irreparable damage. The floor can reverse a decision about a muck, but what if a player with a king-high flush sees the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the deck? I can't imagine how this could ever be sorted out.

I'm sure that this dealer violates house policy when he shuffles like this? I'd tell the floor on my way out, at the very least. I wouldn't want that dealer at my table ever again.

-DB
Old 01-05-2005, 06:22 PM

The only reason why I don't ever mind this is because I know that dealers work solely on tips. That is their income for the evening, so I tend to forgive a bit of panhandling in that regard...usually the players who don't tip have just forgotten, anyway.

That said, I would have gone ballistic(not punching people or anything, but certainly harsh words) about #1 and #3...more so about #3. Face-up shuffling is easily correctable and could be an honest mistake. But, as a player who has one very good friend and several pretty good friends who are gamerunners, I can tell you that a dealer who had behaved in this manner at any of their clubs(which wouldn't happen, anyway) would have been invited to leave very quickly.

Dealers should never get into confrontations with players, no matter what the situation...they should always defer to the floorman.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Face-up shuffling is easily correctable and could be an honest mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

During a hand, though?

If it's a mistake that costs me $1k when my bluff is called because all of the aces in the deck are revealed, I don't really care how honest it is.

-DB
Old 01-05-2005, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dealers should never get into confrontations with players, no matter what the situation...they should always defer to the floorman.

[/ QUOTE ]

They rarely do, unless the player goes too far. I'm not saying the dealer wasn't wrong, but nobody has questioned how the player handled the situation. Perhaps the dealer would have said, "I'm sorry.... lets call over the floor for clarification" if the player was cool about it.

Two wrongs do not make a right... if that was the scenario of course (I'm not saying it was).

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]