Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 08:12 AM

Default Atlas Shrugged asking for spoiler???

I'm reading Atlas Shrugged. Halley's 5th concerto, what is the point of it?
Old 10-16-2005, 11:06 AM

Default Re: Atlas Shrugged asking for spoiler???

Doug,

I only read “The Fountainhead” and part of AS. Both were too long ago to recall what you ask.

I just thought I’d remark the following (and it is not meant disparagingly):

I look back on my reading Rand with fond memories. It is like when I see pictures of myself with long hair and bell-bottomed jeans (the first go around of bell bottoms - not the most recent fad). I think of the good times and how young I look. At the same time I can’t help but be somewhat embarrassed about how ridiculous I looked.

I enjoyed Ayn for a bit. But, after a while (one novel and part of a 2nd one) I pictured better what hell must be like. She goes on and on and on - and it never (seems to) ends. Reading is never a waste, enjoy. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

RJT
Old 10-16-2005, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Doug,

I only read “The Fountainhead” and part of AS. Both were too long ago to recall what you ask.

I just thought I’d remark the following (and it is not meant disparagingly):

I look back on my reading Rand with fond memories. It is like when I see pictures of myself with long hair and bell-bottomed jeans (the first go around of bell bottoms - not the most recent fad). I think of the good times and how young I look. At the same time I can’t help but be somewhat embarrassed about how ridiculous I looked.

I enjoyed Ayn for a bit. But, after a while (one novel and part of a 2nd one) I pictured better what hell must be like. She goes on and on and on - and it never (seems to) ends. Reading is never a waste, enjoy. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

RJT

[/ QUOTE ]Yes this book is pretty long, and sometimes I just can't wait for her to make her point. If I didn't agree with her philosphy I don't think I could stomach it. I did a search on google, apparently it doesn't mean much at all.

The problem with goofy trends is it's much harder to get laid without em. Allthough bell-bottoms are pretty lame.
You must have been so high, to put yourself into those just for a piece of trim.

As far as the hell part goes I'll just assume it was a zing on AR long windedness.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:48 PM

I’ll have you know, Doug, I was pretty hip. I was very hip in my bells. What was really cool for me back then was when platform shoes were in style and clogs. I was/am always the short guy (not that short 5‘7 now) . So, I got the chance to see, for a while at least, what it was like to view the world from the height of others.

Yeah, I packed up my bong, too, with the bell bottoms.

Yep, meant the hell thing as a zing on her agonizing, beat-it-to-death narrative. (Meant it too a bit about her Objectivism, but not sure if I am up for that discussion. Maybe when winter comes in a few months we can chat on that topic.)
Old 10-17-2005, 11:46 AM

A blurb on the back of America: The Book:

"This is similar to my works in that anyone who reads it is sure to be an [censored] for at least a month afterward" -- Ayn Rand
Old 10-17-2005, 11:52 AM

Ayn rand is crap, don't bother with her.