Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How do you pronounce 'data'?
Day-ta 87 70.73%
Daa-ta 36 29.27%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-2005, 06:48 AM

Default Re: Abraham and a morality poll

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

However one story that I heard was that one day Ishmael was bragging to Isaac about having to be circumcised when he was thirteen. Isaac said, "That’s not so much, if God told father that he was to kill me for an offering, I'd gladly go."

God overhearing this decided both to test Isaac’s resolve and Abraham’s faith. It shows gods capricious nature. In order to really test Abraham and Isaac, God let Abraham kill Isaac, It was only after God resurrected Isaac did God stop Abraham from trying to kill him again. Why test just one persons faith, when you can ignore the laws of the life and death and test two?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not in Genesis, where does this story come from?

Cheers,
SDM

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok after some googling I found this.
http://www.ccg.org/english/s/p244.html

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't see that story you told in there?

Cheers,
SDM
Old 09-25-2005, 07:09 AM

Does this help "Ishmael said to Isaac, “I am greater than you in the fulfillment of the precepts, for you were circumcised at the age of eight days when you could not protest, whereas I was circumcised at the age of thirteen years when I could have protested” (Sanhedrin 89b)."

eidt to add: Ok finally

R. Levi said [in explanation of 'after these words']; After Ishmael's words to Isaac. Ishmael said to Isaac: 'I am more virtuous26 than thee in good deeds, for thou wast circumcised at eight days, [and so couldst not prevent it], but I at thirteen years'. 'On account of one limb wouldst thou incense me!' he replied: 'Were the Holy One, blessed be He, to say unto me, Sacrifice thyself before Me, I would obey', Straightway, God did tempt Abraham.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does this help "Ishmael said to Isaac, “I am greater than you in the fulfillment of the precepts, for you were circumcised at the age of eight days when you could not protest, whereas I was circumcised at the age of thirteen years when I could have protested” (Sanhedrin 89b)."

R. Levi said [in explanation of 'after these words']; After Ishmael's words to Isaac. Ishmael said to Isaac: 'I am more virtuous26 than thee in good deeds, for thou wast circumcised at eight days, [and so couldst not prevent it], but I at thirteen years'. 'On account of one limb wouldst thou incense me!' he replied: 'Were the Holy One, blessed be He, to say unto me, Sacrifice thyself before Me, I would obey', Straightway, God did tempt Abraham.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh ok, this is from the Babylonian Talmud.

Cheers,
SDM
Old 09-25-2005, 07:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers,
SDM

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yee of little faith.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers,
SDM

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yee of little faith.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew you weren't making it up, just a plethora of apocryphal and pseudephigraphical books that have claimed to be 'inspired' and 'truth', so sources matter. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers,
SDM