Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2005, 08:45 AM

Default Observed HU 25/50 hand against Mahatma

Hero has $6350. Mahatma has $35,000.

Mahatma has hit 3 nut flushes in the past 10 hands and has taken around 6k off of the hero.

Hero is SB/button with J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Hero raises to 150
Mahatma reraises to 300 (Mahatma has raraised pf about 1 in every 6 times that it was raised to him)
Hero calls 150

Flop (600) Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Mahatma bets 600. Hero calls 600.

Turn (1800) A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Mahatma bets 1800. Hero raises to 3600.

Thoughts?

-Steve
Old 02-13-2005, 08:52 AM

Default Re: Observed HU 25/50 hand against Mahatma

reraise preflop... pot sized bet on the flop.. big turn bet when the ace comes... hmm im putting him on either a monster or a complete bluff... most likely a monster
Old 02-13-2005, 09:12 AM

Either player could have any two cards.

This game is just being played at a much higher level than a nit like me wishes to think about. I've given up trying to draw lessons, since they don't seem applicable to the workaday $2/$5 I regularly enjoy.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
reraise preflop... pot sized bet on the flop.. big turn bet when the ace comes... hmm im putting him on either a monster or a complete bluff... most likely a monster

[/ QUOTE ]

Right.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:44 PM

ballsy, but the turn raise seems pretty weird

he leaves himself with 1850 behind so if Mahatma pushes hes getting something like 4.9 to 1 odds to call a 4.8 to 1 shot

theres too much psychological stuff going on here to totally realize whats going on but raising and leaving yourself just enough to call an even money bet seems strange
Old 02-13-2005, 08:26 PM

I'm not doing that. I believe the situation dictates a fold on the turn bet. Your playing the Ace as an overpair to a supposed KQ?, QJ or lower pair, when I can easily envision AQ, Ax.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:26 PM

The two parts of this hand that I found interesting are the villain's preflop reraise and the heros minraise on the turn. With the villain reraising about 1 in every 6 hands that was raised into his smallblind you have to increase the likelyhood that he holds a pp/AK/AQ/78s. That is not to say that he can't have any two cards just that it is more likely that he has a hand from that range.

Looking at that, I was curious what you all thought about the heros minraise on the turn when two draws were out. In my oppinion it was ill-concieved as its sole puropse was to knock Mahatma off of a pair of queens. With the villains preflop reraise I thought that he would have TPGK or trips much more than he had KQs or maybe QJs. The only hands that the hero knocked out were queens and every other hand would raise him all in with all of the draws out and the hero only having ~1500 left.

Results in white: <font color="white"> Mahatma did indeed come over the top, the hero called, and the river missed the hero's straight. Mahatma showed 99 for a flopped set.</font>
Old 02-14-2005, 03:14 PM

"Turn (1800) A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Mahatma bets 1800. Hero raises to 3600."

Raising the guy on the table with 36k, w/o a hand after he leads into you on the turn, is bad bad. Esp. since we know he is a WCP.
I'm aware that the hero of the hand was on a draw, and his flop call was ok. He should lay this down on the turn, IMO.