Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2005, 08:43 PM

Default 1-5 Stud/8 Shorthanded. Missed bet or gained bet?

I was at Turning Stone the other day and while waiting for my NL seat I sat down at a 4 handed (I made it 5 but one was in the bathroom this hand so it was only 4) 1-5 spread stud/8 game.

I had never played this game before and thus have a very basic question.

The table was playing EXTREAMELY loose passive. Although I folded 70% hands preflop NO ONE ELSE FOLDED PREFLOP ONCE, in fact I don't recall anyone ever folding before 5th street. Also while at this table I NEVER saw a reraise on any street except for the river.

The details are a bit hazy but on 6th street I held. Someone who was betting high cards had bet $5 on every street so far and I had just called in order to keep the other 2 players around. Because no one EVER reraised but people would draw dead I didn't want to raise to get heads up against a high hand.

6th street showed:
(xx) Kh Jh K 3h -- bet $5
(xx) 6 7 8 Q -- called $5
(xx) 2 3 Q 9 -- Folded
(A3) 2 2 5 6 -- I called, should I have raised here?

7th street:
(xx) Kh Jh K 3h (x)-- bet $5, called $5
(xx) 6 7 8 Q (x)-- called $5, folded
(A3) 2 2 5 6 (6) -- I raised

-Steve
Old 01-26-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Re: 1-5 Stud/8 Shorthanded. Missed bet or gained bet?

I would raise sixth. You may lose your customer, but you may be able to actually make some money off of him. If he calls one bet, he'll probably call another. If the Kings three-bet, that might lose your customer, but I think it's worth the risk. If he has a straight draw, he probably will call all bets. He might call anyway. Only one way to find out.

And definitely raise the river. If the Kings have a pair in the hole, you've got a sweeper.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:33 PM

Default Re: 1-5 Stud/8 Shorthanded. Missed bet or gained bet?

i would raise 6th. calling gains you no extra bets. raising will either get you 2 extra bets or have the same effect as just calling at worst. the guy that called 5$ already is most likly going to call another 5 anyways. you dont really mind being heads up vs the hi anyway since you still have a scoop possibility.