Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Anyone got anything to say?

The straight possibilities make the hand much much better.

Brad
Old 07-15-2005, 05:11 PM

So would you be more inclined to dump 106s?

Im thinking about it and I know that the straight possibilities are better with the 108s, but then how would you play it? Would you raise in that position? I don't think I would. I have two players who I know are fairly loose and wouldn't be afraid to call another 4-5BB when the blinds are so small.

I think if I didn't have limpers infront of me I would of just dropped the hand. I am looking to get in cheaply and catch someone off by surprise here.

So in this position with two limpers infront of me, one of which I know is loose, and the BB who I know is loose, I think I would just limp with both T6s as well as T8s. I appreciate the fact that T8s can make more straights, but does it really warrant a raise in late position with the players already in? I just don't think they will get fazed with the raise and will call it.

As for that what about the flop play. Was that an easy bet? Or should I of checked?
Old 07-15-2005, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Analysis of my new aggressive play (Well thought, 12 hands, long)

[ QUOTE ]
It is using your position, your image, your stack size, their stack size and a whole slew of other things to go along with it...

I decided that I would play a much more aggressive style as opposed to my conservative style. I would be playing people a lot more and using my position and stack size... I am going to play to win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you're on the right track.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:16 PM

Ya. I decided that I was ahead of the hand and I would value bet it. But that was obviously way to steep of a bet. Kind of riskier than I had anticipated on that hand.

How much would you of bet there if you were to value bet your hand? Pot had 745 in it at the time with the blinds at 15/30.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:17 PM

Most times I will limp with T8s and hope to flop big -

I will raise on occasion because:
1) it mixes up my play
2) if you raise you can often pick up the pot with a standard continuation bet
3) image considerations - your opponents are now aware that you are capable of raising a wide range of hands - which makes it a lot harder for them to put you on hand later.

I will often raise with a hand like that, make a standard continuation bet and show the hand after everyone folds. This will get you action on your monsters in later rounds.

T6s is garbage.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:18 PM

Default Re: Analysis of my new aggressive play (Well thought, 12 hands, long)

Ya. Its been kind of frustrating the past 4-5 months before I finally came to this realization. It also took a lot of willpower too to say that my style wasn't the best one to win the tourneys. I usually have a tight game in the NL cash and Limit cash games that I play in, and it serves me well.

But my trouble now is adopting a new style for my single table tourneys. My conservative style works pretty well for them, but I need to adjust it a little so I am a consistent winner.

And I still need to practice lots in my tourney as well. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2005, 05:21 PM

If you are going to stack him it's going to be on the turn -
what happens if a K or T comes on the river? Are you pushing then?

What if you check and he pushes? Then you're in a tough spot.

That's why I just put it all in on the turn.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:22 PM

My intial inclination is to bet 200-250 there.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think I would just limp with both T6s as well as T8s. I appreciate the fact that T8s can make more straights, but does it really warrant a raise in late position with the players already in? I just don't think they will get fazed with the raise and will call it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You arent playing T6s and you arent raising T8s.
T6s = HORRID
T8s = bad hand with great potential

You seem to think the additional straight possibilities dont matter but they make all the difference. When you play suited connectors, you are playing for a straight ideally, or two-pair. The flush is an extra out that adds 5% to your odds of winning which is just enough to give you that extra incentive to play. You flop a draw, you determine the best way to play that draw based on everything tournament players have to consider, and then you hope to win the pot by bluffing or hitting, unless you are forced to fold it.

T6s might as well be 27s, you cannot flop a good draw. The best you can REASONABLY expect to flop is a gutshot or maybe two-pair, but you can flop two pair with any hand. Gutshots are bad draws!
You seem to be playing hands for flushes, which is a really bad idea. Youre going to lose a lot of money chasing T high flushes when you A.) miss and B.) lose to higher flushes (and c.) no one pays you when they hit.)

If you want to start playing a more aggressive style i think you need to first learn the odds and success rates of the hands youve chosen as playable. Obviously there are players who can take any 2-cards and play them aggressively, Negraneu and Farha the most well known, but until you get that good you are dumping T6s, and probably T8s until you get more comfortable manuvering on the flop.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:41 PM

Do you have any recommendations for learning the odds/stats? I would love to learn more about the hands I am playing and consider playing.