Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 07:34 PM

Default After SSHE

OK, the search function and I don't get along well. Its awesome helping me find something if I have the poster's handle, but not so good at giving me results. So please, no search comments. I have read and re-read SSHE. As well as re-re-read some of the tougher sections. I did quite well at the .5/1 (full ring and 6-max) levels at UB. Recently I went to Atlantic City and played 2/4 and 3/6 and found the book even more helpful with the players there. I won a lot, though its a small sample. With some of the money, I was going to buy another poker book. Next time I go in a few months, I am going to take a shot at 5/10 with my winnings. OK, so the question is, what book would be most beneficial to buy next?
Old 11-21-2005, 07:49 PM

Default Re: After SSHE

-Theory of Poker
-Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players

Don't play limit too often, so I'm not sure how much the last title will work at 5/10 live.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:20 AM

Theory of Poker definately
Hold'em for Advance Players as you move up in limits (or so I've been told. Apparently some of the more advanced plays are less useful against fish.)

As as supplement to SSHE, I'd read Weighing the Odds in Hold'em by Yao. The first 100 pages are review, but his later chapters, and short handed stuff are great!

If you're playing B&M I'd also read Caro's book of tells.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:34 AM

5/10 live or online? 5/10 the players suck and SSHE is what you need.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:54 AM

5/10 live is definitely small stakes and SSHE is the way to go. After I read HPFAP I suddenly found myself applying some things best left to tougher games and struggled a bit until I realized I need to save some of those plays for higher limits.

I'd grab Theory of Poker next or HPFAP.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:17 PM

I'd say all the books listed already (TOP, HEPFAP, WTO) but also consider "The Psychology of Poker". It'll help you focus more on yourself and what type of player you are and thus help you identify which type of game best suits you to play in.

It'll also give you strategies to play the different types of players you'll come up against and a it containg quick reference points in how to assess the type of player you are up against even by the way they dress (if you are playing B&M games).

Definitely a great supplement for SSH and any of the other books listed.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:54 AM

I play 5-10 live or 10-20 live almost exclusively. Any of the books mentioned above would be a good read, but I would suggest you reread and study SSHE as your main preparation. Even at 10-20 this will be most helpful.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:29 PM

I remember skimming through Ed Miller's new book, "Getting Started in Hold'em", and I seem to remember that he had book recommendations for continuing your poker education in there.

I don't remember what they are, but it's a place to look.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:49 PM

In addition to the above, grab How Good is Your Limit Hold'em by Byron Jacobs. You'll be a limit stud in no time.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:35 PM

You should get Theory of Poker... the best poker book I've ever read.

When I get my friends started playing limit, I recommend in this order...

Theory of Poker
Small Stakes Hold'em
Weighing the Odds in Hold'em Poker
Hold'em Poker For Advanced Players
Middle Limit Hold'em

and I've heard nothing but good things about How Good Is Your Limit Hold'em