Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Re: finished erick lindgren book

Bought the book to read on a flight today. I am about 60 pages into it, but I like this book. It is the antithesis of Kill Bill. So far, it describes exactly the way I have successfully played deep stack live tourneys.

If you are going to play small ball, you have to play a lot of pots early when the blinds are small, the stacks are deep, and the bad players still have chips. It is these (usually) overly tight players who will continually commit too much money early in the tourney on one-pair hands. You can't get their chips unless you play with them. And once you show down a funky winner cracking AA or AK - the table is yours.

So far, this book describes how to play small ball to a T. It advocates far looser preflop raising standards than HOH or Gordon, both of which IMO are "tight" for early tourney deep stack play.

Can't wait to finish it.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:31 PM

binions, good comments!

and erick seems to be one of the few experts that actually advocates playing hard at the start... as you alluded to, almost all the stuff out there right now is play really, really tight at the start (which i think has great merit too).
Old 12-13-2005, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bought the book to read on a flight today. I am about 60 pages into it, but I like this book...Can't wait to finish it.

[/ QUOTE ]
You won't have to wait long. Lindgren's actual content ends at page 129. A portion of which is spent describing shopping for a home and spending your WPT prize money. Then you are treated to nearly 30 pages presenting WPT results of past shows, along with money winners, past champions, etc., followed by a Poker Math section by Matros.

I enjoyed the book and actually went back through a second time and highlighted some of the really great morsels of knowledge he gives throughout. As I mentioned in a review of the book a few days ago, Lindgren wastes no time getting into the good stuff with this book. That being said, this is a really short book. Without Matros and WPT adding extra pages, it would barely be a 3 part Cardplayer article. Maybe the length of the book is justified by the smaller price than most poker books. I did find a few things I enjoyed and it was fun to read it, even a second time.