Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 08:05 PM

Default Re: After SSHE

The two most important things you need to do don't include buying another book.

1) Start participating in the micro limit forum on a daily basis, both posting a hand or two you were lost in of your own and give feedback on others hand posts.

2) Play tens of thousand of hands of poker. (Hopefully this will also pay for any books you decide you need.) Don't even contemplate making a 'stat' post unless you have 50k hands since your last major 'Aha!' moment. When we are talking about the long run we mean 100k hands, not 1k.

For books:
Theory of Poker (You will be referencing this for the rest of your life.)
Weighing the Odds in Hold'em
Middle Limit Hold'em (Time to temper that aggression a bit.)
How Good is Your Limit Hold'em

Not much that you need from Hold'em for Advanced Players until maybe 5/10 online or 30/60 live. And even then you might still be better served by looking for tables where you still don't need it. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Don't worry, it will eventually be your bible. Just not yet.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:23 PM

For online play SSHE it THE book, even up to 20/40 and sometimes beyond. No fooling. You can make a small fortune playing that way online right now.

In B&M games it's a little different, and it depends on where you play, I suppose. It seems that even the fish notice more in person. So perhaps it's THE book for up to 5/10 and sometimes beyond. It still applies but you will have to think more as your opponents are better.

TOP and HEFAP are improtant books in holdem and you should read them. But honestly, if you want to do really well online then re-read SSHE several times until you understand it thoroughly, find yourself playing very well, and are taking down the money.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In addition to the above, grab How Good is Your Limit Hold'em by Byron Jacobs. You'll be a limit stud in no time.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had read this book before I wrote GSIH, I would have recommended it without question in my limit hold 'em section. It's excellent. Best limit hold 'em hand problems book that exists today. Its only problem is that it could/should be twice the length. But it's terrific.

I was particularly impressed because not only is the advice and thought process consistently good, but he asks the right questions. He probes the key areas where people lose most of their money, and his scoring system reflects the fact that he knows these are the most important areas.

I give it 10/10. I think the best limit hold 'em books available today are (not going to be humble about my own):

Beginner level:
Getting Started in Hold 'em by me
Winning Low Limit Hold 'em, 3rd Edition only by Lee Jones
Internet Texas Hold 'em by Matthew Hilger

Intermediate Level:
Small Stakes Hold 'em by me, David, and Mason
Hold 'em Poker for Advanced Players by David and Mason
Weighing the Odds in Limit Hold 'em by King Yao
How Good is Your Limit Hold 'em by Jacobs and Brier

I think there's a large falloff after these. In fact, I think I'd recommend an aspiring limit hold 'em player to read these seven and only these seven books... at least only these seven until they've become a strongly winning player.

EDIT: Feeney's book, Inside the Poker Mind, is also excellent, but I wouldn't necessarily clasify it as a "limit hold 'em book." But an aspiring limit hold 'em player certainly should read it as well.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In addition to the above, grab How Good is Your Limit Hold'em by Byron Jacobs. You'll be a limit stud in no time.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had read this book before I wrote GSIH, I would have recommended it without question in my limit hold 'em section. It's excellent. Best limit hold 'em hand problems book that exists today. Its only problem is that it could/should be twice the length. But it's terrific.

I was particularly impressed because not only is the advice and thought process consistently good, but he asks the right questions. He probes the key areas where people lose most of their money, and his scoring system reflects the fact that he knows these are the most important areas.

I give it 10/10. I think the best limit hold 'em books available today are (not going to be humble about my own):

Beginner level:
Getting Started in Hold 'em by me
Winning Low Limit Hold 'em, 3rd Edition only by Lee Jones
Internet Texas Hold 'em by Matthew Hilger

Intermediate Level:
Small Stakes Hold 'em by me, David, and Mason
Hold 'em Poker for Advanced Players by David and Mason
Weighing the Odds in Limit Hold 'em by King Yao
How Good is Your Limit Hold 'em by Jacobs and Brier

I think there's a large falloff after these. In fact, I think I'd recommend an aspiring limit hold 'em player to read these seven and only these seven books... at least only these seven until they've become a strongly winning player.

EDIT: Feeney's book, Inside the Poker Mind, is also excellent, but I wouldn't necessarily clasify it as a "limit hold 'em book." But an aspiring limit hold 'em player certainly should read it as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Ed. Glad you liked the book, as I just purchased it a couple of days ago.

Just wondering, at what point do you think Feeney's book is best brought in. At intermediate level with SSH?

Also, I noticed you didn't mention Dr Al's book. However, as you included it inside GSIH, I'm assuming it just slipped your mind here Right? If so, is this a book to read alongside the likes of GSIH etc. or would you suggest leaving it until the more advanced stages?

PJS
Old 12-02-2005, 01:21 AM

I'd throw Theory of Poker in there as well. It deals with games besides hold'em, but it uses lots of limit hold'em examples.

Have you read Cooke's Play of Hands? If so, why does it not make the Intermediate list?

What about Abdul Jalib's 1999 essays "Preflop Strategy", "Theory of Sucking Out", and "Raising after Loose Limpers"? It's not a book, but he talks about many of the concepts you and Yao later discuss in your books.

Finally, I know why Middle Limit Holdem did not make your list, but do you think it could with some editing out of the weak-tight BS (a la WLLHE 3rd)?

PS Byron Jacobs, author of How Good is Your Limit Holdem, is coming out with a beginner holdem book. Haven't seen it yet, but it's listed on Amazon.

Old 12-02-2005, 02:41 AM

I agree, Feeney's book is pretty incredible. What do you think of "The Psychology of Poker"? I give that one a thumbs up as well.
Where would a NL player start if he/she is considering playing limit too? Specifically, a ultra-cool Russian NL player who follows the aggression of SuperSystem?
Old 12-02-2005, 03:35 AM

Millers list should keep you busy. If you can honestly intergrate The TOP and HPFAP within 100k hands, I'll be extremely impressed.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PS Byron Jacobs, author of How Good is Your Limit Holdem, is coming out with a beginner holdem book. Haven't seen it yet, but it's listed on Amazon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. It is out in the UK now. Unfortunately I was a bit slow finishing it and so we have delayed publication in the US until March/April 2006, otherwise it would get lost in the post-Xmas hiatus. Anyone desperate for it can probably pick it up on Amazon.co.uk next week.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:28 AM

Default Hey Byron

Enjoyed HGIYLHE.

Since you know Brier who co-authored Middle Limit Holdem with Ciaffone, why don't you suggest a second edition of MLHE and clean it up. It has the potential to be a great text.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:26 AM

I've read HPFAP already. It's got some interesting ideas in it. However, every time I've tried to play limit, I have no clue what the hell is going on. I can't understand people that call all the way to the river with nothing. The guys play such a wide variety of hands, I'm not sure what hands I should be playing and how I should be playing them. I'd like to expand myself and include limit hold em into the games I already play. Perhaps I should start with SSHE?