Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2005, 11:22 PM

Default JJ against argo player

This was a $100+9 sat MTT for a seat to the $1000+50 WSOOP event. Blinds were 100/200. MP2 has been raising and re-raising whenever in a hand (and has rarely had to show down any hands). He has been in 30-40% of the hands.

My image is fairly tight at this table, folding to resistance from MP2 in a few previous hands.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

MP3 (t5845)
CO (t1755)
Button (t2055)
SB (t4115)
BB (t6370)
UTG (t4410)
Hero (t4715)
MP1 (t2670)
MP2 (t4540)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t600</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls t600, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>.

Flop: (t1500) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

What is your approach against discribed villian?
Old 09-02-2005, 01:22 AM

Default Re: JJ against argo player

I know this hand is unimpressive, but I do need some feedback.

I will give you the next piece. I check the flop, villian bets $1000, I cr to $2500. Villian calls.

What do you think of this line, so far?
Old 09-02-2005, 02:07 AM

I don't like that line because it's too expensive in case he actually has a queen. You've comitted more than half of your chips and it's hard to say whether you are really ahead or not. I think you might be, but I don't like the CR to find out. I would lead at this pot, 2/3 the pot, enough that he would know I was serious. He should raise you with a Q on this draw heavy board.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:09 AM

Assuming you aren't on/near the bubble, I likely lead out for a value-ish looking 800, and call a push. If he has a queen, make sure you river a jack.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:12 AM

I just push it all in on the flop.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have 22BB, why push?
Old 09-02-2005, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have 22BB, why push?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because any other raise leaves you in an awkward turn situation if you are called, has less fold equity (if I'm you I'm ready to take the pot down right here), and gives you a difficult decision if you are raised. Pushing is definitely an option here.

I prefer to bet/call, to give him a chance to bluff off chips. I am pretty sure I'm not folding to one over here against a LAG (especially considering the over is the Q).
Old 09-02-2005, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like that line because it's too expensive in case he actually has a queen. You've comitted more than half of your chips and it's hard to say whether you are really ahead or not. I think you might be, but I don't like the CR to find out. I would lead at this pot, 2/3 the pot, enough that he would know I was serious. He should raise you with a Q on this draw heavy board.

[/ QUOTE ]

The main reason I cr'd was that I had decided that with any non-AK flop I would let him lead, as he would bet 90% of the time whether he hit or not.

It seemed like the best way to extract more chips. At the time I felt that betting out would get less $ in the middle.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The main reason I cr'd was that I had decided that with any non-AK flop I would let him lead, as he would bet 90% of the time whether he hit or not.

It seemed like the best way to extract more chips. At the time I felt that betting out would get less $ in the middle.

[/ QUOTE ]

There've been a lot of threads about this recently, actually. The idea is that a lot of times, betting out is the best way to get more of your opponents chips in the middle, because it appears to be a continuation bet, when in fact you are fully prepared to commit your whole stack.

In any event, I don't think giving a free card to an AK type hand is really the way to go here.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In any event, I don't think giving a free card to an AK type hand is really the way to go here.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's where knowing his opponent comes in - he's so aggressive, taking a free card on the flop won't even occur to him, so Hero knows that a bet is coming as soon as he checks. Also, I seriously doubt he has AK. In all likelihood, he would've re-raised with it pre-flop.

Since you're prepared to commmit your whole stack, CR all-in. I think that's the best of both worlds: representing a huge hand thus giving you the most folding equity, and getting chips into the middle since you know he's auto-betting any flop.

Kirk