Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2005, 11:28 PM

Default Call this river?

Should i have bet this turn?

When i didnt, and someone bet the river is a call here ok?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 (poster) checks, CO calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (11.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, CO checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, CO checks, Hero checks.

River: (5.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, CO folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 7.75 BB
Old 03-28-2005, 11:31 PM

Default Re: Call this river?

I think i'd bet that turn. You have no reason to believe you don't have the best hand right now, and you've got 6 outs to whats probably the best one.

The way you played it, I call the river.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:52 PM

there's over a 20% chance BB is bluffing or betting a worst hand (Ace high, a smaller pocket pair). I don't think he'd go for a check-raise on both the flop and raise with an 8 or K. Sometimes it will be 99 but more often I think you are good here. SO you have to call the river when its folded to you.
I actually like the turn check: Avoid the check raise and you can see the river with a chance to improve or showdown the best hand. Looks likes you a bad bluff from BB.
Nice hand.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:57 PM

This is the type of hand that does not get posted much here. I think more hands like this should be posted. Sure it's kinda boring, but it's routine enough that it's worth looking at.

On the turn, I think someone with a K or a 8 would have bet by now most of the time. Of course we wary of the check raise... but I think you are often good here. Often enough to bet in any case. Ace chasers will often call.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually like the turn check: Avoid the check raise and you can see the river with a chance to improve or showdown the best hand. Looks likes you a bad bluff from BB.
Nice hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Interesting. I would be like to see what others say about this. My thought is that avoiding the checkraise is not worth it when you consider that someone (or several players) will call you hoping to spike a pair on the river.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:06 AM

This is a tough question. I think I would have played it the same way you did. Because I don't think that betting the turn is a good play, and when an undercard (to your pair of sevens) hits the river it smells like a bluff from your opponent, therefore I call the river figuring he will be bluffing often enough to make a call profitable (in other words he'll bluff here more than 14% of the time (I think) and nobody else in front of you called his bet).
Old 03-29-2005, 12:16 AM

I would bet this turn. I expect BB to either have whiffed overcards or KK.