Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2005, 01:58 PM

Default Take a break from school?

Im in a bit of a dilema and have decided to turn to my fellow ootiots for help.

Right now Im debating taking the upcoming semester off from school (which starts monday). Mainly, I dont know what major I want to pursue. It's my fourth year of college and I have chenged my major a few times. I started as Computer Engineering, then changed to Business Management, then Accounting, then Finance. Over the summer I decided that I didnt want a business degree anymore. I had no idea what I wanted to do and decided to just take some random Fall classes that interested me, as I still had some room for random university credits. Over the past couple months, Ive toyed with the thought of getting a degree in history. Thing is, while it sorta seems like a decent idea right now, I could very easily see myself changing to something else again.

So Im considering taking a semester off to try to figure out what I want to do. Another thing that might make me do this is money (this issue is far less relevant than the first). I rely on poker for about 70% of my expenses and my Parent the other 30%. During the last semester, school took up so much of my time that I was unable to play enough poker, and money started to become a little tight towards the end. I know the same thing is going to happen next semester. If i take it off, I expect to be able to make enough money between now and the start of next fall to steady myself financially. (pay off my previous student loans, make some investments, and have enough saved so that I dont have to worry whether or not Im playing enough hands every week).

Those are the two main reasons Im considering this. I in now way intend to quit school permanently.

My questions for you guys:

Does this seem like a good idea?

Have any of you taken breaks from school?

Do you regret it?

**What issues were there with taking a break? (i.e. Health insurance- i know nothing about, feel free to shed some light on that.)

I guess thats it. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated, as I sorta have to decide on this soon.

THANKS

mark
Old 01-07-2005, 02:02 PM

Default Re: Take a break from school?

how close are you to graduating?
Old 01-07-2005, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how close are you to graduating?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have all of my general university stuff completely done. I guess it depends on what I do, different majors have different requirements. I dont like taking more than 12-14 credits/semester, just because Im lazy. I could get a biz degree that I dont really want in 2-3 semesters. Anything else probably 4-5.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:05 PM

It's hard to get back into it after a break. I had a semi-bad case of senioritis towards the end of my undergrad degree. I graduated in December, took an internship in January, and started grad school the next fall. It's hard to come back to school after a summer break, but coming back after 8 or 9 months was very tough for me to get back into it. I have no idea how some people do it when they take years off. Your situation is a bit different, though, and your hand may be a bit forced. If you're 4 years into college and you don't know what you want to do, then maybe it's time to really evaluate what the hell's going on. Maybe your problem is that you're going to an inferior school (sorry - I went to UM, so I had to get at least a weak shot in there). Money forces the issue and if you can really make enough cash in one semester to do all that you say, then that sounds pretty good.

I guess I'm not giving a real good answer, but it seems that maybe a semester off is right for you. There's not much use in wasting the time and money on something you don't even know is in the right direction. I've just never seen anybody actually do well when they've done this.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I could get a biz degree that I dont really want in 2-3 semesters. Anything else probably 4-5.

[/ QUOTE ] hmm... so basically 2 years for a degree you want. Why not take a semester off? It will be hard to come back though.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:09 PM

Thanks for the advice. Do you know anything about health insurance? Im 21 and dont smoke, if that matters.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:11 PM

I'd say suck it up (no offense) and get some sort of business degree. You can get any job you want with that.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:13 PM

Mark,

I've been there. No one really wants a business degree. But if you don't have any other passions, it's really the best compromise.

By passions I mean, like if you want to direct movies/studio engineer/study russian literature...everything else you can get where you want with any degreee, so choose the quickest.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say suck it up (no offense) and get some sort of business degree. You can get any job you want with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

You cant get any job with that. You really think its worth spending a year and a half of my time (and money)on a degree I dont want, that will likely force me to get a job that I dont want?
Old 01-07-2005, 02:18 PM

i dont think its bad to take a break

especially if you are debating which major you are going for --- that could be very costly

im on a break from school also -- i have one semesters left, 15 credits, i changed my major also -- i currently have 131 credits but no major finished

if you plan on going back i see no harm in taking a break ---

cheers