Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2005, 08:05 AM

Default Re: What to do with KK here, let me explain my thought process

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i posted a hand with incomplete, illogical info and now im going to be a whiny little nit about it when all i've done is couch an i lost money boo hoo in a strategy post so i can waste people's time and show how awesome i am.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="white"> it must be hard waking up every day as you </font>

fim

[/ QUOTE ]

winner
Old 08-27-2005, 08:26 AM

Default Re: What to do with KK here

Even against somewhat I perceive as solid, I am still shoving the KK preflop here, the stacks are way too shallow (62 big blinds) to be mucking kings at any stage and save yourself the decision on the flop. If he has aces, then so be it.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:59 AM

If your money doesnt get in pre-flop, it better get in on the flop when an Ace doesn't hit or you need to switch to limit play (respectfully). Anyone that's played this game for a while has had their Kings trumped by Aces preflop. It's called "overhead".

If you're worried about getting your stack cracked, step down in limits until you have enough to absorb hits such as Kings meeting Aces preflop.

Good luck to you.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:47 PM

That hand sounds familiar, was that Wednesday night? My experience in that game is that many players will call a large raise with a variety of hands, I saw someone call a $500 preflop raise last night with 88! When it comes to raising the solid players are only sticking in a reraise with AA or KK, but usually its a much bigger raise than his $100. So, I think you really needed to hit that preflop raise much harder. After you call the pot is around $200 so I would raise at least $200, maybe even $300. If you run into AA, that's poker, but you get enough bad calls in that game to make a huge raise there profitable.

After the flop you simply can't check the hand, and need to be the one pushing your chips. I saw a similiar hand the other night where a guy pushed $500 post flop with JJ after similar pre flop action and got KK to lay it down. There is a enough loose action in that game that you need to prepare to lose it all with KK against all but the most conservative players in that game.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:52 PM

if you think he has AA, fold preflop.
if you don't think he has AA, push preflop.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel like there's a good chance he has aces here, but his 100 rereraise could have just been to isolate with me because had he called the 75, everyone else would have as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Second, when he rereraised another 100, I knew that there was NO way that he held jacks, aq, or even ak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like a pretty tight range for somebody just trying to isolate.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:44 PM

"if you think he has AA, fold preflop.
if you don't think he has AA, push preflop. "

The issue here is that I DO think he has AA, but with $750 in the pot and 100 for me to call, I am getting good odds. But pushing does NO GOOD because he will call with aces but fold his queens. Haven't you guys ever let go of kings preflop before? To the gentleman who is saying that I am just posting this to complain about a bad beat and show off my skills, I am only annoyed because I explained the hand and was called an idiot as if this was an obvious push, but it really is not. Anoyone who plays the 400 Commerce game regularly knows that a large rereraise preflop almost always means kings or aces.

Please explain if this is incorrect thinking.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:43 PM

The $400 game at Commerce? I'd call.

I'd like to know more about your image at the table, however. I don't think he has aces, but he sure as hell is trying to represent it. If he had ace, then sorry. I could go into deductive reasoning of why he doesn't have aces, but I'm just tired.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:18 PM

My image at the table is of a loose player as far as starting hands but when it comes to the big money going into the middle of the table, I tend to have the goods. So post flop, it means 2 pair or better. Before the flop, under regular conditions, I raise only with 1010-AA, Ak,aq,aj, and kq. But my reraises are only with qq-aa, and maybe jacks if I want to reduce # of callers. We played long enough for him to know that if I was reraising, I most likely had QQ-AA, which reduces the odds of him having QQ, because why reraise me if we tie at best?
Old 08-29-2005, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My image at the table is of a loose player as far as starting hands but when it comes to the big money going into the middle of the table, I tend to have the goods. So post flop, it means 2 pair or better. Before the flop, under regular conditions, I raise only with 1010-AA, Ak,aq,aj, and kq. But my reraises are only with qq-aa, and maybe jacks if I want to reduce # of callers. We played long enough for him to know that if I was reraising, I most likely had QQ-AA, which reduces the odds of him having QQ, because why reraise me if we tie at best?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a really long time you've been playing with this guy.

You should include info like that in future posts.