Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2004, 05:08 PM

Default Busted by the button

PokerStars $15+1, blinds 50/100, still a full table ...

With 1200 chips left, I get dealt 88 in the cut-off. No-one else has bet yet so I bet 300 (When the blinds get to 50/100 I usually bet pairs that until then I'd just be calling with, ie 77-JJ).

Annoyingly, the button calls.

Flop is Kxx, pot is 750 ... First to act, I figure that I just have to hope he didn't hit anything that can beat me. I go all-in.

He calls with AK and busts me. Did I play it right? Did he?
Old 11-01-2004, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Busted by the button

[ QUOTE ]
PokerStars $15+1, blinds 50/100, still a full table ...

With 1200 chips left, I get dealt 88 in the cut-off. No-one else has bet yet so I bet 300 (When the blinds get to 50/100 I usually bet pairs that until then I'd just be calling with, ie 77-JJ).

Flop is Kxx, pot is 750 ... First to act, I figure that I just have to hope he didn't hit anything that can beat me. I go all-in.

He calls with AK and busts me. Did I play it right? Did he?

[/ QUOTE ]

What was your stack size? What was his stack size? What were the xx cards?
Old 11-01-2004, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I was the button and I had you covered I would have re-raised you or put you all in instead of just calling. Depending on how you've been playing your 3x bb raise from the CO looks like a steal to me and I'd fire back at you.

On the flop I agree with BigWig - the xx cards are important as well as his stack size. If his stack size is large and if the cards are just rags I'd probably check and see what happens. Because if you can get away from your 88 you're still left with 9 x BB and while you're folding/stealing equity is evaporating quickly you're not done yet.

Just my opinion.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:41 PM

He had me covered! I can't remember what the x cards were, other than they were lower than my 8s. I'm more interested in the general strategy for this kind of situation than the specifics, but I'll try and use that converter thing for more complicated hand questions in future.

I felt that getting away from the hand might be a timid play, especially after my pre-flop raise and his weak (?) call. I knew I'd left myself with enough chips for a good bet after the flop, so it would be a shame to waste it. If I checked and he had the chance to bluff at me ... well, I'd hate myself for letting that happen!
Old 11-01-2004, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He had me covered! I can't remember what the x cards were, other than they were lower than my 8s. I'm more interested in the general strategy for this kind of situation than the specifics, but I'll try and use that converter thing for more complicated hand questions in future.

I felt that getting away from the hand might be a timid play, especially after my pre-flop raise and his weak (?) call. I knew I'd left myself with enough chips for a good bet after the flop, so it would be a shame to waste it. If I checked and he had the chance to bluff at me ... well, I'd hate myself for letting that happen!

[/ QUOTE ]

I still need to know the stack sizes, so I can compare them to the size of the pot, regardless of who had who covered.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:56 PM

He had about 1700, compared to my 1200.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:24 PM

Considering stack sizes and position, I'd be worried about him having KQo or KJs. I consider it foolish of him not to reraise you with AK preflop.

Really, I would be significantly worried about him having a K. I think it's fairly probable. But the pot is 650, and your stack is 900, so I don't have a problem with your push.