Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 01:30 PM

Default Re: Live hand for review - results

people love thooted cards
Old 07-16-2005, 06:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I pussed out and just called the 150 RR. He showed down 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, like I said, it seemed like he was waiting for a safe river or something. Still, I disagree with Garland. The guy makes a weak river lead then reraises your maximum raise. I think putting in another raise on top of that sucks.

SpaceAce
Old 07-16-2005, 06:43 AM

Due to the 5-150 spread structure of the game, at some point when the pot gets big, it plays like a limit game. By my count, there's $825 in the pot at the point of his re-raise, and you have the 2nd nuts. In a true no-limit game where the stacks are deep, yes you have to be careful. But personally, I like extracting more value in the event he is overplaying another hand (baby flush, 2 pair or a set possibly). I think it's worth one more pump and a call if he decides to re-raise again. If he has K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]x[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], just tip your cap to him. It just wasn't your hand.

Another key point: You mention he's normally a limit player, and he probably has a limit mentality when betting and raising. Limit mentality includes extracting value bets and raises when he feels he has the best hand, but not necessarily the nuts.

Also, if he had the nuts, it contradicts the statement that he is a good player. There is no way he doesn't re-raise and keep re-raising you either on the flop or the turn with the immortal nuts.

And I just looked at the hand again. Your flop raise was weak. There's 75 in the pot preflop, BB bets 15 and you raise only to 50??

You need to raise that to at least 100, and an argument could be made for raising more.

Garland
Old 07-16-2005, 06:45 AM

How can you so blatantly ignore OP's read?
Old 07-16-2005, 06:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How can you so blatantly ignore OP's read?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he pumps the pot with the nuts, he pumps earlier, not on the river. In addition, it doesn't sound like 5-150 spread limit is villian's regular game (75/150 limit is his regular game), so I get the impression that he hasn't played that many hands with hero.

Garland
Old 07-16-2005, 07:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If he pumps the pot with the nuts, he pumps earlier, not on the river. In

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems to me a silly assumption. Many opponents I know routinely wait for the bigger bets of the turn or river to raise with the nuts, especially a seemingly invulnerable hand like nut flush.

While there are no bigger bets in spread limit this habit could easily have become second nature.

The important thing is O.P. has a read. If he had a read that villian only raised to $22 with pocket ducks, and the flop came A22 and he had pocket aces he should still fold. At the risk of sounding very cliche, poker is all about your reads. You can never forget that.