Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 02:36 AM

Default Worst. Reporting. Ever.

Jesus Fergusuon!

How many times must we suffer through multiple sevens of diamonds in the same hand, chopping a pot with king high versus three aces, and a Q8 being called the nuts on a board containing K88*?

All the sites are doing it, too.

Proofread people!

Proofread.

* yeah the wang coming over the top of butt with his nuts is funny, but still.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:59 AM

Default Re: Worst. Reporting. Ever.

It really is hard to believe. The following made me laugh out loud:

Steve Dannenmann doubles up through Rod Pardey, Jr.
Pardey bet 100k on a flop of [A 9 5] and Dannenmann reraised all in for 400k more. Pardey called and showed [A 9] for top pair. Dannenmann showed [5 5] for a set. The turn and river came [6][5], giving Dannenman a boat. Dannenmann now has over one million in chips.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:02 AM

Worst. Seventh. Post. Ever.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Pardey bet 100k on a flop of [A 9 5] and Dannenmann reraised all in for 400k more. Pardey called and showed [A 9] for top pair. Dannenmann showed [5 5] for a set. The turn and river came [6][5], giving Dannenman a boat. Dannenmann now has over one million in chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's cardplayer.com's version:
[ QUOTE ]
Date / Time: 2005-07-12 23:49:00
Title: Steve Dannenmann Doubles Through Rod Pardey
Log: After a flop of A-9-5, Rod Pardy and Steve Dannenmann are both all in. Pardy shows A-9 (two pair), but Dannenmann has pocket fives for a set. Dannenmann needs to catch a nine or an ace to eliminate Dannenman. The turn card is the 6, and the river card is -- a 5. Dannenmann makes four of a kind to cripple Pardy down to about $245,000. Dannenmann increases his chip stack to roughly $1,250,000.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good thing Dannemann didn't catch that nine or ace that he "needed", he'd have ended up eliminating himself.

Good grief. I just went over to pokerwire.com, and they have some very confusing news about this particular hand:
[ QUOTE ]

Dannenman doubles through Pardey Jr. again
With a board showing [A][9][5], Pardey Jr. [A][9] went up against] Dannenman's [5][5]. Dannenman's lead increased when the board filled with [6][5] and Pardey Jr.'s chip stack plummeted to 245k while Dannenman's stack increased to 1,250,000.

2005 WSOP
[Event 42] $10,000
No Limit
Hold'em
Main Event
Jul 13, 2005
02:52:02 EDT Steve Dannenmann doubles up through Rod Pardey, Jr.
Pardey bet 100k on a flop of [A][9][5] and Dannenmann reraised all in for 400k more. Pardey called and showed [A][9] for top pair. Dannenmann showed [5][5] for a set. The turn and river came [6][5], giving Dannenman a boat. Dannenmann now has over $1million in chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently this same hand happened twice, within a short period of time. What are the odds?! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2005, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Worst. Seventh. Post. Ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

But quite a beautiful, masterfully crafted 579th, huh?
Old 07-13-2005, 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
My point exactly.

There has to be at least fifty more from cardplayer, pokerwire, and gutshot over the last three days....
Old 07-13-2005, 03:30 AM

Default Actually the reporting is not that bad considering the surroundings

I was actually at the Rio for some of the earlier events and considering the surroundings I would actually assume there would be errors in the reporting. First of all, the tournaments are going on in a humongous convention hall filled with people playing tournaments and live games. The room is set up sounds reverberate very loudly through the whole room. Between all the talking and chip rifling it is an extremely distracting environment to begin with.

You add in the fact that there are many people crowding around the tournament tables rubbernecking making it extremely hard to see anything very well. This is especially true when a big hand comes up as everyone will rush over to that table in a mad dash effectively blocking the view for all but the quickest/tallest/pushiest of observers. Also, when looking at the chip stacks for the no-limit events it is virtually impossible to know how many chips a person has as everyone has monstrous stacks of multi-colored chips in various pyramid shapes. (I really had no idea how many chips the respective persons had because I never bothered to find out what the denominations were for the various colors, but even assuming one did know this information it would be very difficult from a far vantage point to accurately assess chip stacks. On a side note, most of the peoples stacks reminded me of giant bumblebees as there seemed to be a lot of yellow and black chips, but that is neither here nor there.)

Finally, one has to put in perspective how the sites are getting this up to the date information and posting it so fast. What it basically amounts to is various twenty somethings wandering through the tables among the massive crowds trying to observe all the action, then when something happens these people jot notes down on pads of paper and run to an empty table where another twently something has a laptop connected to the internet set up where he is given the notes and forced to decipher and type in the information as soon as possible amid all the chaos that is surrounding him/her.

Given these circumstances, I do NOT find it hard to believe there is going to be errors in the reporting. Trust me, I saw these "reporters" working and it does not look like an easy or particularly fun job (I think I will stick to poker, thank you). Finally, I was a week ago during the 'relatively' small $5000 events with smaller crowds. As bad a zoo as it seemed when I was there, I do not even want to begin to imagine the mess it must be during a 5000+ person tournament with the throngs of crowds that I am sure are present.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:37 AM

Default Silly thing to complain about

As the previous poster said, it's a difficult job to run around accurately taking down while watching from a very crowded and uncomfortable position. If you're going to complain about live and free information, you ought to just go over there and watch it if it's that damn important to you to have every detail correct.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:40 AM

Default Re: Actually the reporting is not that bad considering the surrounding

Good points, all.

But my beef is with all the hands that have multiple of the same card, (it wasn't just the two 7d in the pot with Lederer), and the ones that just make no sense whatsoever.

Mixing up names is one thing, though still pretty shoddy IMHO. A hand replay that leaves you saying, "WTF" is quite another.

A simple proofread by any amateur would uncover them before unleashing them on the masses.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:42 AM

Default Re: Silly thing to complain about

Thats exactly it, besides being there myself, I will take what I can get. I can just about imagine how stressful that job really is. I mean cardplayer.com got a new server or upgraded just to deal with the traffic of people checking up on the me progress.