Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 09:49 AM

Default I\'m calling down with AK

No reads on villains. I have played for about one orbit. Table seems pretty TAG.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

River: (10.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Final Pot: 13.75 BB

Here's what I was thinking during the hand: MP1 capping pf means he has AK or a big pair. If he has TT or AA I'm drawing pretty much dead. If he has AK, JJ or QQ I'm drawing to six clean outs for a win or chop. Villain's flopbet is likely to be the usual autobet against few opponents with unimproved AK. When he popped another one on the turn AK felt less likely, but not out of the question. If he has JJ-QQ I could still get lucky + I picked up the gutshot. As long as the board don't get too scary or BB wakes up I'm just calling this down.

Looking at this hand now, I feel that a better line would have been to 3-bet the flop and fold the turn unimproved.

How terrible was my play (and thinking)?

/twang
Old 06-09-2005, 09:51 AM

Default Re: I\'m calling down with AK

[ QUOTE ]
MP1 capping pf means he has AK or a big pair. If he has TT or AA I'm drawing pretty much dead. If he has AK, JJ or QQ I'm drawing to six clean outs for a win or chop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This could be all well and good but you fail to mention the BB. You think he's calling down with ace-high too?
Old 06-09-2005, 09:54 AM

You can't fold the turn whether you raise the flop or not since you picked up the gutshot straight.

The river call is close but probably not too bad. With the third player in yet though I lean towards folding in these situations. HU AK unimproved is looking better but it seems somewhat unlikely that your ahead of MP1 when he bets the river into two opponents and it also seems likely that BB is calling down with some pair.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:58 AM

This is tough. With the second player in the pot, I'm probably folding the turn - certainly the river.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
MP1 capping pf means he has AK or a big pair. If he has TT or AA I'm drawing pretty much dead. If he has AK, JJ or QQ I'm drawing to six clean outs for a win or chop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This could be all well and good but you fail to mention the BB. You think he's calling down with ace-high too?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not impossible that he called pf with a big ace or KQs. In retrospect I'd put him on a medium pocket pair or a suited ace that picked up the kicker on the flop. To be honest, I got tunnel vision and focused only on MP1. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

/twang
Old 06-09-2005, 09:59 AM

I'd have trouble calling the river, more because of BB than MP1 because he called a 3-bet pre-flop and then called down. He's most likely not bluffing. MP1 may be betting AK, but I think BB has something (PP, ATs, KTs, QQ, JJ, TT, etc.) Maybe a call is right in such a big pot because of the percentages, but I don't think it is.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You can't fold the turn whether you raise the flop or not since you picked up the gutshot straight.

[/ QUOTE ][censored], I can't even get this right in retrospect. Thanks.

/twang
Old 06-09-2005, 10:06 AM

Thanks guys. My obvious mistake (which everyone has pointed out) is me forgetting about BB. I tend to forget about the third player in hands like this, I'm afraid. It's about time I plug that leak.

/twang
Old 06-09-2005, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks guys. My obvious mistake (which everyone has pointed out) is me forgetting about BB. I tend to forget about the third player in hands like this, I'm afraid. It's about time I plug that leak.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the less obvious mistake is that you stated this
[ QUOTE ]
No reads on villains. I have played for about one orbit.

[/ QUOTE ]

in your OP and then stated this
[ QUOTE ]
MP1 capping pf means he has AK or a big pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

How are you so sure of his hand range when you don't have a read?

As others have said - calling down with A-high against 2 unkown players is not so good.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:20 AM

You need to raise the flop as well.
BB can pretty much call with any piece here.