Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 03:38 PM

Default KQs -- huge draw in huge pot misses on river -- what\'s my play?

All players are new to me but seem solid over 5 orbits or so. BB slightly loose and aggressive. CO tightest and most passive.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, CO calls, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (20.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, CO calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (14.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

River: (18.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero ???

Final Pot: 20.25 BB
Old 06-08-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Re: KQs -- huge draw in huge pot misses on river -- what\'s my play?

This is dumb.
EDIT: Sorry for being a prick - but this is really dumb!
Old 06-08-2005, 03:56 PM

Eh. Sucks nobodys folding though. You have to just check?
Old 06-08-2005, 04:00 PM

First, it should be known that I an only a beginner. With that said, I would fold. You have nothing, and it's very likely that at least on of your opponets holds a 9 for a straight, or at the very least has made 1 or 2 pair, especially since they are calling all of your bets.

I could be wrong though because you hear all the time you should never fold in a large pot if there is a marginal chance that you could win, but I think your pretty much sunk here.

Also, I don't think this is such a dumb question because these situations come up all the time and its hard, especially for someone new to the game, to make the correct call...
Old 06-08-2005, 04:02 PM

Am I missing something? There are 3 players still with you on the river, you can't bluff them all out.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:28 PM

Does anyone else check the turn here? It would really suck if it gets raised.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:34 PM

One less player and you can take a stab if you're familiar with them. It only has to work a bit more than 5% to be profitable, especially since you have no showdown value.

That said, check and lose. It sucks. Life goes on.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First, it should be known that I an only a beginner. With that said, I would fold. You have nothing, and it's very likely that at least on of your opponets holds a 9 for a straight, or at the very least has made 1 or 2 pair, especially since they are calling all of your bets.

I could be wrong though because you hear all the time you should never fold in a large pot if there is a marginal chance that you could win, but I think your pretty much sunk here.

Also, I don't think this is such a dumb question because these situations come up all the time and its hard, especially for someone new to the game, to make the correct call...

[/ QUOTE ]

checking is probably better than folding [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-08-2005, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else check the turn here? It would really suck if it gets raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't like checking the turn at all, and I don't think it sucks much at all if you get raised here. You have 15 outs to the nuts, plus some not-so-good looking overcards, you can bet and raise for value against three opponents for sure. Against two you are EV neutral without counting any of your overcard outs. It's worth it if just to try to get the button.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:50 PM

Bet only if you think 2/3rds of the remaining players have connection problems and will get check/folded. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]