Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2005, 05:48 AM

Default Laser Eye Surgery

My eyes are really bad. I am nearsighted with astigmatism. Has anyone had this laser corrective surgery? Discuss...
Old 01-12-2005, 06:11 AM

Default Re: Laser Eye Surgery

Dude, it's the bomb.

I too have nearsightedness with really bad astigmatism. As a high school graduation gift my parents got it for me and it's a million times better living with good eyes than using contacts/glasses. It's a really simple procedure, is fairly painless, takes 15 minutes and you get all messed up on valium too!

If you can afford it, do it.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:06 AM

I've been told that it's best to wait until after age 25 or so before getting corrective laser eye surgery. Apparently, your eyes may not be completely finished growing until then, so your cornea may still readjust itself after the surgery if it's done early in life. Something to ask a doctor about, to be sure.

Freakin
Old 01-12-2005, 08:01 AM

My fiancee is a nurse at one of the leading laser eye surgery centers in Philadelphia. She just had the surgery a few months ago, and she LOVES it (not to mention it was free for her). I wear glasses, and I'm blind as a bat, and looking forward to when we get married in August so I can get it for free too. The advice in this thread is 100% correct - it is reccommended to wait until you are 25 to get the surgery. Other than that, it's also best to do a lot of research and find the best place in your area - you only get one pair of eyes, and radio commercials advertising a 'special on surgery at $499 an eye' should be considered an afterthought. Another piece of advice, when you do your research make sure the place includes *ALL* follow up care in the price of the surgery. Some places will do the surgery cheaper, and initial followup is included - but if down the line a year or so an adjustment is needed, they will charge you additional for it. Good luck and let me know if you've got any more specific questions, I can get them answered for you right away. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2005, 08:17 AM

Weird, I was just thinking about this out of the blue today as well.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My fiancee is a nurse at one of the leading laser eye surgery centers in Philadelphia. She just had the surgery a few months ago, and she LOVES it (not to mention it was free for her). I wear glasses, and I'm blind as a bat, and looking forward to when we get married in August so I can get it for free too. The advice in this thread is 100% correct - it is reccommended to wait until you are 25 to get the surgery. Other than that, it's also best to do a lot of research and find the best place in your area - you only get one pair of eyes, and radio commercials advertising a 'special on surgery at $499 an eye' should be considered an afterthought. Another piece of advice, when you do your research make sure the place includes *ALL* follow up care in the price of the surgery. Some places will do the surgery cheaper, and initial followup is included - but if down the line a year or so an adjustment is needed, they will charge you additional for it. Good luck and let me know if you've got any more specific questions, I can get them answered for you right away. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm looking to do this in a couple months when my bonus arrives. Which option did your woman end up going for?

There's a whole slew of choices down here in Atlanta, from $499 an eye (yeah right) up to $2500 an eye. I'm not sure which to go with, but haven't done a ton of research.

thanks.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:43 AM

I have thought of this as well and a co-worker of mine just had an appointment and they told him he wasn't a canidate for lasic surgery and that he would have to do PRK which is supposedly more painful and less effective although he went ahead and had it done. He said it seems to be working although I think it takes a month or 2 to completely recover from this type.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking to do this in a couple months when my bonus arrives. Which option did your woman end up going for?

[/ QUOTE ]

She had the LADARWave Custom Cornea treatment. Again it was free since she works there, but it would normally cost around $3,000 per eye including all after-care. Different areas of the country have varying prices on laser eye surgery though, so YMMV.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:54 AM

this topic was discussed here before.. I don't have time to do a search on it, but I started the topic about 6 months ago. There was some really good stuff in there. Mason chimed in, and a doctor who performs the surgery also did.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:08 AM

here