Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2004, 01:38 PM

Default Interesting career options

My long-term career plans have been to work at as high a level as possible in finance and then switch to being self-employed as soon as the contacts / network allows. The idea, like most people here, is to be more in control of my own time.
My situation is that I am currently the CFO of a smaller sized high-tech manufacturer (in the past I was running the finance unit of a $300 million firm). I have been doing some outside consulting work, mostly the forensic accounting stuff that I would build my practice around, but also some 10K and 10Q filings reviews. I also write when time allows.

This position is my favourite by far of anything I've had - I have complete freedom of action and was brought in to clean up the operations of a potentially very successful organization. There is every indication that the president will be retiring in a few years and I am the most likely successor. The pay is above average now and could go up significantly in the future and I could be running my own show by the time I'm 35.
My only problem is with the commute - over 1 1/4 hours each way.

I have been approached by the RCMP to do full-time onsulting work with them - being a financial expert to help with fraud and money-laundering investigations. It is really what I'd like to be doing. The pay is comparable to what I'd make in industry but with less of an upside in the future. The benefits are a little better with the government and there is flexible time committments and the option to work from home when not needed to meet with Crown attorneys or investigating officers.

I'm torn between the opportunity to be top-dog in industry but with tough work demands and the opportunity to make a difference in society with challenging, interesting work where some of my other interests (writing and poker) would get more of my time.

I can't decide whether or not I want to pass on a potentially excellent "traditonal" career or go with a chance to meet most of my "other"goals at the expense of the unlimited potential income.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Interesting career options

I'd go with the government job...it sounds like you want to do it, but if you decide to stay on with the company, you got anything for a recent graduate? and by recent I mean tomorrow.