Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2004, 01:13 PM

Default Canada\'s not so nice, after all

Anti-American attitudes are a daily fact of life in Great White North

I moved to Canada after the 2000 election. Although I did it mainly for career reasons — I got a job whose description read as though it had been written precisely for my rather quirky background and interests — at the time I found it gratifying to joke that I was leaving the United States because of George W. Bush. It felt fine to think of myself as someone who was actually going to make good on the standard election-year threat to leave the country.

Also, I had spent years of my life feeling like I wasn't a typical American and wishing I could be Canadian. I wanted to live in a country that was not a superpower, a country I believe to have made the right choices about fairness, human rights and the social compact.

So I could certainly identify with the disappointed John Kerry supporters who started fantasizing about moving to Canada after Nov. 2. But after nearly four years as an American in the Great White North, I've learned it's not all beer and doughnuts. If you're thinking about coming to Canada, let me give you some advice: Don't.

Although I enjoy my work and have made good friends in Toronto, I've found life as an American expatriate in Canada difficult, frustrating and even painful in ways that have surprised me.

As attractive as living here may be in theory, the reality's something else. For me, it's been one of almost daily confrontation with a powerful anti-Americanism that pervades many aspects of life. When I've mentioned this phenomenon to Canadian friends, they've furrowed their brows sympathetically and said, "Yes, Canadian anti-Americanism can be very subtle." My response is, there's nothing subtle about it.

The anti-Americanism I experience generally takes this form: Canadians bring up "the States" or "Americans" to make comparisons or evaluations that mix a kind of smug contempt with a wariness that alternates between the paranoid and the absurd.

Thus, Canadian media discussion of President Bush's official visit last week focused on the snub implied by his not having visited earlier. The media reported that when he did come, he would not speak to a Parliament that's so hostile it can't be trusted to receive him politely. [Bush did not speak in Parliament.] Coverage of a Canadian athlete caught doping devolves into complaints about how Americans always get away with cheating.

The Blame Canada song from the South Park movie is taken as documentary evidence of Americans' real attitudes toward this country. The ongoing U.S. ban on importing Canadian cattle (after a case of mad cow disease was traced to Alberta) is interpreted as a form of political persecution.

In the wake of 9/11, after the initial shock wore off, it was common to hear some Canadians voice the opinion that Americans had finally gotten what they deserved. The attacks were just deserts for years of interventionist U.S. foreign policy, the increasing inequality between the world's poorest nations and the wealthiest one on Earth, and a generalized arrogance.

I heard similar views expressed after Nov. 2, when Americans were perceived to have revealed their true selves and thus to "deserve" a second Bush term.

Canadians often use metaphors to portray their relationship with the United States. They describe Canada as "sleeping with an elephant." Even when the elephant is at rest, they worry that it may suddenly roll over. They liken Canada to a gawky teen-age girl with a hopeless crush on the handsome and popular boy next door. You know, the one who doesn't even know she exists.

The self-image conveyed in these metaphors is timid and accommodating. Perhaps this is how Canadians see themselves (or would like to be seen), but my experience is that they are extremely aggressive (if somewhat passively so) when it comes to demonstrating their deep ambivalence toward Americans. Take the popular TV show Talking to Americans, which simultaneously showcases Americans' ignorance about Canada and mocks Canadians' unhealthy preoccupation with what Americans really think of them.

Of course, there's often something of the stalker in that gawky teen-age girl, isn't there?

Part of what's irksome about Canadian anti-Americanism and the obsession with the United States is that it seems so corrosive to Canada. Any country that defines itself through a negative ("Canada: We're not the United States") is doomed to an endless and repetitive cycle of hand-wringing and angst. For example, Canadians often point to their system of universal health care as the best example of what it means to be Canadian (because the United States doesn't provide it), but this means that any effort to adjust or reform that system (which is not perfect) precipitates a national identity crisis: To wit, instituting co-payments or private MRI clinics will make Canada too much like the United States.

The rush to make comparisons sometimes prevents meaningful examination of the very real problems that Canada faces. As a Canadian social advocate once told me, when her compatriots look at their own societal problems, they are often satisfied once they can reassure themselves that they're better off than the United States. As long as there's still more homelessness, racism and income inequality to the south, Canadians can continue to rest easy in their moral superiority.

I felt a strong tug toward the United States when the borders shut for several hours on the afternoon of 9/11, and again after the election this month. Canadian friends were honestly shocked when I, a caricature of a bluestocking blue-stater (I've spent most of my life in Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland and Wisconsin, with short stays in Washington state and the bluest part of Colorado), said that I would in many ways prefer to live in the United States, and not just because it's home.

They assume that it's better, more comfortable, to be in a place seemingly more in tune with one's own political and philosophical leanings. Right after the election, many asked me if I would now apply for Canadian citizenship.

I don't intend to do that, because experiencing the anti-Americanism I've described has been instructive: Living in Canada and coping with it has forced me to confront my own feelings about America. And it's helped me discover what I do value about it: its contradictions, its eccentricities, its expansive spirit, all the intensity and opportunity of a deeply flawed, widely inconsistent, but always interesting country.

Perhaps I am a typical American, after all.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:44 PM

Default Re: Canada\'s not so nice, after all

That's very well written.

I think the best that can be said is that not all Canadians harbour anti-US feelings or feel superior.
I think that some poeple cope with their countries' lack of influence in the world stage or perceived lack of recognition for their countries' acheivements with an attempt to put down other nations or people.

I think that much of the bad feelings here simply come from people resenting the US' influence in so many areas. I think they feel smothered.

It would be nice if people could respect other countries' ways of doing things and be open to new ideas that may make themselves better regardless of their origin, but many can't handle it.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:10 AM

Everything I know about Canada I learned from the "Great White North" segments from the old SCTV show [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2004, 01:45 AM

I'm not even going to start with the content in the acticle because it would likely take me days to address each and every one of the massive oversimplifications that this lady has chosen to use for her piece on how "we" as Canadians feel about our southern neighbors.

The one thing that struck me though as I read this piece and one that you as Americans should, I believe, take to heart, is that the author chose to move to (and write from) a country that is still considered (by both countries) to be a friend. No one country in the world likes or appreciates (both said and unsaid) the USA more than Canada.

SO WHAT !! . . if we are like the little brother who calls "bullshit" ocassionally, when your head or your mouth (or both) get away from you. If the author wants to beat us up because we don't keep quiet and love the USA unequivocally, then so be it. But before getting your neck too far out of joint, as readers, just imagine for a moment the articles that would have been penned by the author, had she chosen ANY other country in the world, to move away to.

Oh . . and it is not even close.

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] busguy
Old 12-06-2004, 02:58 AM

to be honest with you, I wasn't surprised by the content of the essay. I think last year around the fourth of july, a couple people from Washington went up to Canada for a vacation to camp. Some kids were staying in the same place as them and they went over to them and started harrasing and assaulting them because they were Americans. The police took it seriously and I assume some arrests came out of it. I realize that doesn't represent all Canadians by any means, but the simple fact that something like that happened bothers me. I think some Canadians feel like they have to hate Americans and the U.S. for some reason.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:14 AM

Next time I want to know what to think about Canada I'll just pick up the Houston f***ing Chronical and find out the buzz.

US out of North America!

D.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:32 AM

I am always astounded at the number of Americans I meet in Indochina (where I have been for the past 8 months or so) who when asked where they are from say Canada.

It is not just in Canada (a friend) or the middle east (an enemy) that Americans are having a tough time defending their country's policies.

But then do we really care what others think?
Old 12-06-2004, 10:38 AM

NO ac we SHOULD ONLY CARE ABOUT OTHERS OPINIONS in life and never do what we figure to be correct. Especially if we live in the Northeast or West coast we should follow the fascist liberal agenda to a T..never questioning and always blindly following millionaires and fantasy world intellectuals neither of which have lived in the real world for decades.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But then do we really care what others think?

[/ QUOTE ] No we don't. We have more important things to worry about than what some stupid Canuck thinks of us.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
to worry about than what some stupid Canuck thinks of us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this really necessary ??

Seriously, why do always feel the need to throw in a hack to emphasize your point ??

Doing so only further highlights the imaturity that you demonstrate on a daily basis, largely uncontrolable to be sure, because of the 7 year old, "he's a poopy face" that we all know lurks inside of you.

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] busguy