Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 08-25-2004, 02:06 PM

Default Checking turn too weak-tight?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: (4 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8 BB

Was backing off on the turn too weak-tight? Seems I unnecessarily gave him credit for a K. Should I keep pushing it?
Old 08-25-2004, 03:39 PM

Default Re: Checking turn too weak-tight?

I think I bet the turn and fold to a raise. You represented strength pf and on the flop, and it's reasonable for him to suspect that the A improved your hand. Plus, with the flush and on the board you're giving your opponent a lot of reasons to get out of the hand if he's not very confident about what he holds. By checking, you're inducing him to bluff if he's aggressive... which might be a good stategy if you're on something like AK... but in effect just forces you to make the decision you were hoping to confront him with. Did the A help him? Did he have the K on the flop? Did he complete the flush? You saw how difficult it can be when you're on the business end of this. If he has the wherewithal to raise, I'm giving him credit for a hand most of the time.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:46 PM

Well, I've been guilty of some weak-tight moves myself recently, so take this with a grain of salt, but . . .

What is he calling this flop with? A King, an 8 (something like A8s), overcards or the flush draw (or perhaps 67s or if he's an "any 2" guy 67o), or a slowplayed set of 8s or 5s. If he has a King or the flush you're drawing slim or dead, ditto if limped with something like AJo ATo. On the other hand, if he has something like 78s, JQ, or made a bad call on the flop with something like 77 or worse, you're way ahead.

Unless I have the guy pegged as tricky, I bet out on the turn and fold to a raise, and check the river if he calls (figuring that he will not pay off a worse hand). If I think he's tricky, I'll call it down and take the 3-1 odds that he's bluffing or semi-bluffing the turn and bluffing the river. Man will I hate it if another club hits, though.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:02 PM

I agree. It was a mistake not betting the turn. I don't give him credit for a flush, because he'd been more aggressive with his past flush draws. I felt I gave him too much credit for a K -- it's possible he has K-little, but he's also pretty loose pre-flop, so he could have anything.

In a similar situation against a similar player next time, I bet and fold to a raise.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:05 PM

Totally agree. I got passive with my pocket pair because it was smaller than top-pair. I would have been much better off leading out on the turn.

He definitely wasn't tricky. So I think betting the turn and folding to a raise would have been correct.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:15 PM

MP1 shows Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and MHIG.