Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 09:12 AM

Default A quick river question...15/30

I really have nothing on the main opponent, except to say that I haven't seen him out of line yet...seems to be a middle of the road Party 15/30 type.

MP1 limps, MP2 limps, I raise with T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the cutoff. Blinds fold, limpers call.

Flop: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Checked to me, I bet, both call.

Turn: J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Checked to me, I bet, both call.

River: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

MP1 bets out, MP2 folds. I fold, getting about 9/1.

I know we could use a little more information on the players, but given what I know, how is this in general?
Old 09-28-2005, 09:20 AM

Default Re: A quick river question...15/30

I think I call this river vs an unknown as I would expect a lot of players to bet someware or check raise a flush darw since AK and AQ missed.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:22 AM

can't believe you folded this river. i mean maybe you were right and saved a bet, but you sure do have to be right a lot to make up for the winners you fold here. it's not super rare for people to do this weird move on the river with a 7 or something, assuming you have AK and will check behind. also, sometimes in a big pot people randomly spew chips on a non-paint board, hoping for the best.

yes it is obvious for the flush to bet out here and he probably has it. but i'm still not folding to many people. and if i do fold, you can bet i have a lot of data as support for the read.

another way to look at it. say a person is in a slump. do you think saving this one bet here is what's going to pull them out of the slump, or that calling here is what got them in the slump in the first place? no way. but folding a winner has major impact.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
can't believe you folded this river. i mean maybe you were right and saved a bet, but you sure do have to be right a lot to make up for the winners you fold here. it's not super rare for people to do this weird move on the river with a 7 or something, assuming you have AK and will check behind. also, sometimes in a big pot people randomly spew chips on a non-paint board, hoping for the best.

yes it is obvious for the flush to bet out here and he probably has it. but i'm still not folding to many people. and if i do fold, you can bet i have a lot of data as support for the read.

another way to look at it. say a person is in a slump. do you think saving this one bet here is what's going to pull them out of the slump, or that calling here is what got them in the slump in the first place? no way. but folding a winner has major impact.

[/ QUOTE ]

great reply
Old 09-28-2005, 10:22 AM

I'm actually really glad to hear that this should be a call. In the past, I think I have auto-called this most of the time, expecting to see the pot head across the table.

For some reason, I decided to fold this time, and it felt very strange. I wasn't sure if that was the feeling of playing really bad, or really good. The first, I can usually recognize, and the second I'm not sure I have felt yet.

Thanks for the thoughts.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:23 AM

i agree that a call is in order...
but what about if an a k or q of [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] comes on the river?...
do you think its still a call?
Old 09-28-2005, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i agree that a call is in order...
but what about if an a k or q of [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] comes on the river?...
do you think its still a call?

[/ QUOTE ]
good question. With no read I would fold. But I am not certain my play is correct here since the hero is still getting some decent odds to call. I am interested in what others would say about this.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:24 PM

online, against an unknown, closing the action....I auto call this everytime.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-28-2005, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. Just the chance that he has a showdown worthy hand, and instead of checkcalling figured he may as well just bet is enough for me. He could also have air.