Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2005, 07:41 PM

Default Calling Flop with Overpair - PP 30/60

30/60 Party Poker, Ten Handed. Table has been tight until recently, when looseness has prevailed.

UTG+1 is all over the map. He has shown several bluffs and won a few pots with trash, but has a low VpIp....around 17%. I can't tell what he is doing.

MP2 is a very good player, and solid in every way. I have played a LOT of hands with him, and he can be tricky.

UTG+1 limps, MP2 Limps, I raise with T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] from Cutoff, Button Calls, BB Calls UTG+1 and MP2 call.

Five players to the flop with 10 sb.

Flop Comes 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB bets, UTG +1 calls, MP2 calls, I call, button calls.

This is a new one for me. Something to do with not pushing small edges, and waiting for the turn, when my potential edge will be largerm and a raise will carry more weight. It just doesn't feel right to me yet.

Turn is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 bets, I raise, button folds, BB folds, UTG+1 cold calls, MP2 calls.

River is K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG+1 checks, MP2 Checks, I........bet?

Your thoughts?
Old 07-17-2005, 07:43 PM

Default Re: Calling Flop with Overpair - PP 30/60

That turn worked out for you beautifully. Your real target in this hand is pair + over cards, and gutshots, hands that have 4 or 5 outs that you would love to get to fold.

Excellently played.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:02 PM

you played it perfect. value bet the river.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:10 AM

I don't like it, with the BB leading and 2 callers in the middle you should just raise your hand for value. If the flop bet was to your immediate right then you might wait till the turn to try and protect your hand. You got lucky that the BB checked the turn and the bet came on your right and it was a small card. Big parlay. I think there is no way to protect your hand in this situation and you should just rasie for value and hope your hand holds up,