Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2005, 11:52 AM

Default Weak tight in the $55

Sb is a very tight aggresive player who has only shown down good hands so far. Is keeping my healthy stack worth folding possibly the best hand??

Fold preflop is my normal play but having a big stack gives me room to play postflop I thought, god I suck bad at this game.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (6 handed) converter

CO (t890)
Hero (t3110)
SB (t2755)
BB (t960)
UTG (t1050)
MP (t1235)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls t50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t50, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t200) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t275</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t550</font>, BB folds, MP folds, Hero folds. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Final Pot: t1025
Old 03-19-2005, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Weak tight in the $55

[ QUOTE ]
Is keeping my healthy stack worth folding possibly the best hand??

[/ QUOTE ]

No. If you going to fold top two pair here, don't call with QJ. You don't flop straights that often.

That said, the check min raise has me a little worried, but I'm not folding here. Either call/ see what happens or push.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:44 PM

I'd actually raise preflop here, with one limper and sitting on the button.

Beyond that, you shouldn't fold this. I'd come back over the top. This is serious weak-tightness on your part.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:53 AM

I think folding here is terrible. At the absolute worst you must call. I'm not sure exactly what the best play is right now, but I know folding is wrong.
Old 03-20-2005, 02:44 AM

Folding is terrible.
Why are you calling with QJo if your planning on folding when you make 2 pair?
The read on SB mite be correct, or he might be using his image to execute a steal.
I would call this, especially since the board is rainbow, only scary thing is a straight possibility, but you can always river a boat [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-20-2005, 04:04 AM

Worst. Fold. Ever.

What could he have with that preflop limp?

AA - possible
AK, KK, QQ, JJ - less likely, IMO, as most (sane) players will raise with these preflop.

That pretty much rules out a set, so I just don't see how you are beat here.

(FWIW, I'd put him on AQ or AJ.)

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-20-2005, 06:20 AM

lol vaginal

Degen
Old 03-20-2005, 05:27 PM

What did you think he had? I don't see how you could fold this. It wouldn't even cross my mind to tell you the truth. He bets over you, I would without hesitation go all-in.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:02 AM

I had this exact same hand yesterday. Same flop, everything. I came back over the top. Sure enough he was holding 9t for the flopped straight. No help for me and I'm crippled. Still not sure I played it wrong, but what does Doyle say, never go broke in an unraised pot? One more reason why raising preflop is so important. The chances of someone playing 9t in a raised pot are a lot less.

Later,
Rick
Old 03-21-2005, 11:51 AM

Geo, I think you are letting your emotions run your decision-making model here, rather than your poker logic. I am guessing that you FEAR losing your huge chip lead vs. identifying opportunities to dominate a table.

My guess is that if you had only t800 preflop, you would have pushed all your chips in the middle. Am I wrong? But since you now have such a dominant chip lead, virtually guaranteeing you an ITM finish, your feelings about losing your chips dominate your thoughts, and have clouded your judgement - or logical thought processes.

Consider the following:
What range of hands (hole cards) could villain have here? QQ or JJ? Seriously doubt it, due to his lack of aggression preflop. 88 - outside possibility, but I doubt it (there likely would have been more preflop aggression wiht a made hand like 88 out of the SB). KQ - very high probability, J8 - just as a high a probability. QJ - this might be true as well. But just as likely are QT or Q9 - semi-bluffing the inside straight draw. Either way, you most likely have the best hand right now.

Don't let your emotions cloud your judgement. This looks like a clear case where past performance (or lack there of) has affected your judgement.