Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2005, 01:48 AM

Default Re: Vegas WSOP Trip Report

Thanks for a great trip report. Somehow the fact that I had "Spider-Man 2" on in the background while I read it made it even better.
Old 07-04-2005, 05:21 AM

Thanks for the report. good read.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:13 PM

ESPN just re-ran the 2004 U.S. Poker Championship held at the Taj. If I were to describe one particular pro on that footage, it would be remarkably similar to the way you described "Poker Hippy". Just a hunch....
Old 07-04-2005, 04:58 PM

i've got a pretty good hunch on ass-smelling guy too.

you know...if he smelled THAT bad I wouldn't have TOO much of a problem saying his name.

I played in the $3k event this past Friday and huck Seed was next to me. He looked like he had just rolled out of bed....(but he didn't smell or anything...just a white t-shirt and show up at the tourney).
Reasonably talkative and nice in my time there.

Michael's 'trick' was pure crap. First time he did this I would NOT have been laughing.
My reaction from reading this..."what a dick."
2nd time he did this I would be asking all kinds of questions about whether such moves constituted an 'angle-shoot' and were permitted and/or were in the 'spirit' of the game.
I don't know enough about the rules myself to really know...but I would have no problem asking the question to the dealer...and calling the floor/director if necessary.

It was a REALLY crappy way to see the guy's cards and I'm pretty unimpressed.

I also might have mention something to poker-hippy about getting all sorts of orange-slime on the cards.

I'm a nit. Big deal.
I think we have a right to play without guys smelling like ass OR guys making borderling illegal angle-shoot type plays.

Played a single-table sat and big, sweaty guy in seat 1 seemed nice enough. Dealt or floored at some private-room in Pittsburgh or something. I noticed he was wearing a night-club type wristband which had to have been from the night before. He got eliminated in 4th place and both the dealer and seat 2 were talking about how badly he smelled. I was in seat 6 and couldn't smell him and they were both surprised that I couldn't even though I was on the other side.
That guy must have smelled REALLY bad. They kept trying to square the table around so they could get a few inches further away from him.
Impressive.

Spiderman sounded pretty cool though and I really enjoyed the reports.

Very nice report.

Although I haven't seen either movie...so I would have told him that I really enjoyed his performance in WonderBoys.

Nice report.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the report. good read.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-05-2005, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Michael's 'trick' was pure crap. First time he did this I would NOT have been laughing.
My reaction from reading this..."what a dick."
2nd time he did this I would be asking all kinds of questions about whether such moves constituted an 'angle-shoot' and were permitted and/or were in the 'spirit' of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thought crossed my mind to say something, but I kept quiet for a few reasons. First, he was just goofing around, in the sense that he wasn't trying to get an edge on the other players. He was playing this like we might play a $5 Party SNG -- its cheap, so have some fun. He had probably just busted out of whatever WSOP event was going on that day, because he joined as a late player after the tournament had started.

Second, if challenged, I'm sure he was ready to instantly reply how he had mucked first. The end result would be something like -- "Yeah, I'm goofing around, but I'll stop if it bothers this guy who's really uptight." He would make the protester look like more of an ass.

Third, as long as it didn't have an effect on a hand I was involved with, I didn't care much. Maybe the wrong attitude, but he busted out of the money and I was very pleased with my result. When he tried it on me, it didn't work.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:35 AM

Very nice. Thanks for posting this.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:49 AM

I understand not wanting to look like 'the nit' when the rest of the table is cool with it (or amused or whatever).
This has kept me from saying something on several different occasions.

I wasn't there so don't really know....but I think it might have been more of an 'angle-shoot' then you thought.
Even though he's loose and silly and having fun...he IS also trying to get the other guy to show his cards.

Anyone who pretends to have cards when they don't ....or pretends like they don't have cards when they do will get no support from me.

If a player is holding his hands out in front of his chips like he's holding his cards I might make a comment, "Umm...wait, you're out of the hand, right?" or something like that.

This has ALWAYS been just a polite comment to inform a player that the way he holds his hands is kind of making it tough to tell.

Anyway - I'm all for a good joke.
If a player takes all his chips pre-flop and then starts counting out $600 like he's going to raise 6xBB...and then looks around at everyone and quickly mucks his hand then that can be fairly amusing.

But what Michael was doing was crossing the line because he was trying to extract info (by getting the other player to show) or perhaps even extract an incorrect mis-play (like possibly getting a player to muck while he was still holding cards).

Anyway - I don't like it. But I completely understand the type of situation where you wouldn't want to speak up and be 'THAT uptight guy' who actually insists on playing by the rules.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
or perhaps even extract an incorrect mis-play (like possibly getting a player to muck while he was still holding cards).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the biggest concern. I would like to learn if he has ever done this in a major tournament ($10,000 buy-in event).