Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2005, 07:55 AM

Default Re: How do you deal with a serious series of bad beats? AKA deal with tilt

Just keep playing mate, play enough SnG's and the suckouts don't bother you anymore.

In fact, you'll be laughing about them (only to yourself of course) but don't throw rocks in the lake. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 02-16-2005, 08:14 AM

Default Re: How do you deal with a serious series of bad beats? AKA deal with tilt

[ QUOTE ]
Read Candide by Voltaire.

You can read it in a day. It will help you deal with tilt, and reading is good for you anyways. Plus it's funny.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]
Good advice.

And I read original text (in French) last year. A great novel and a great read. You really need to read it in French to fully appreciate Voltaire's use of language. I love that book :-).

[/ QUOTE ]

In the language of poker, Karak567 has reraised Irieguy
Old 02-16-2005, 08:54 AM

Bads beats like these are GOOD. They mean you are getting your chips in the middle as a clear favourite so what more can you do. Just keep playing the same way and all is well.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:22 AM

Read You call THAT a bad day? by Irieguy and be thankful he was having a better day today [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Lori
Old 02-16-2005, 11:26 AM

"Read You call THAT a bad day? by Irieguy and be thankful he was having a better day today."

That post is all that is currently getting me through the worst run of my (short) SNG poker career. Thanks Irie.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:54 AM

Default Re: How do you deal with a serious series of bad beats? AKA deal with

I don't know that I have a solution to tilting either. I steam sometimes, but recently, I have come to recognize that I am tilting. I refused to accept that I tilt earlier in my poker "career," but now I know I do. When I tilt, I do it for a whole day. And there's not much that can untilt me except for sleeping it off.

A couple of months ago I started recalling the bad beats that I put on other people. After only a week, I had a doozy of a collection. Juicy bad beats that I would otherwise forget or file away egotistically as "outplaying an opponent." After you have 6-8 of these juicy beats that you put on someone else, recall a few of them next time you get beaten the same way.

I also have managed to convince myself recently that simply stopping playing is the right thing to do when I'm tilting. Since I could hardly accept that I tilted before, I refused to stop playing. Now, I know I tilt - it's no fun to tilt anyway. If I'm not having fun, I don't want to be playing anyway. Log off, grab the recent Cardplayer, watch some TV, go get a milk shake...anything. Just quit playing.

The advice of an admitted tilter....
Old 02-16-2005, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Read You call THAT a bad day? by Irieguy and be thankful he was having a better day today [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Lori

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL not THAT thread again... [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 02-17-2005, 01:58 AM

i've lost 20+ QQ/KK/AA hands in a row in about 2 days at 50+5. the only thing that kept me sane was that i was winning with garbage. so it all equaled out in that instance.

but generally, i stop playing for the day. i go out and come back home at bedtime so i wont be tempted to play. the $ i spend going out is less than what i lose by playing on tilt.