Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2004, 05:29 PM

Default Played it wrong?

Nothing interesting preflop. I limp in with 33 into a surprisingly family pot. I think 4 or 5 people see it.
Flop AA2, there's a minbet before me, I raise it about the pot(I've had some success bullying people in this tourney, weak tight players everywhere). I get one caller in late position, initial raiser folds. I have a slightly below average stack, he has a slightly above average stack.

Turn comes a 3. I check, intending to checkraise, but he checks behind me. I check again on the river 9 to induce a bluff, and he puts me allin and shows me A9 sending me home.

I know there's no way I'm making it out of this hand after the 3 on the turn, but I want to know what you guys think of the checking on the turn and river.

This was in the money of a large tourney, but well before the big payouts.
Old 06-11-2004, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Played it wrong?

After your raise on the flop, the cold-caller might as well hang a sign around his neck that says "I have an Ace." What did you think he had, since you were hoping for a 'bluff' on the river?

Since the caller has an ace, if you push on the turn, I think there's a very high chance that he will call you. He might consider you having a bigger kicker, but it's more likely that he's going to call. If you're that late in the tournament, there's nothing wrong with taking home the pot even if he folds. Given the preflop callers, and your raise on the flop, there's good money to be won there.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:49 PM

Default Re: Played it wrong?

Yeah, I'm an idiot. I meant bet, not bluff. I read him for an ace. I don't see him laying it down if I push on the turn.

It's a good point about him folding, if he gets convinced he's up against 22, 33, or Ace-paint he might fold. And the call on the flop could indicate that fear. After I saw the 3, I stopped thinking about winning the pot and started thinking about how I could get all his money.

I should've pushed on the turn.