Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 01:39 PM

Default Re: GDP?

"The power of compounding is a wonderous thing. It can be applied to almost everything. Including our national debt. If a policy were enacted that lowered GDP by 1%, but lowered our deficit by MORE than 1%, wouldn't that be a positive increase in our overall economy?? "

Clearly, negative GDP growth, even if accompanied by a lower budget deficiet, is bad for the overall economy. I don't even understand where you were going with that statement. Until you clarify where you came up with that, and how the hell it has any context to the discussion, we can't proceed.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I suppose being an economist by training, I look at the entire picture, rather than the part that fits my worldview.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Does Federal spending, such as highway funds, building projects, military bases and welfare not ADD to the overall economy (at least in the areas that the $ are spent?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your parenthetical clause is in direct contradiction with the statement it follows. Of course government spending doesn't add to the overall economy. How could it? Furthermore, any benefit that an individual business or industry gains from government spending can only come at the expense of other businesses and industries.

You're an economist?
Old 12-10-2005, 02:16 PM

doesn't look to good...
Old 12-12-2005, 04:23 AM

Default Re: Exponential growth!

It's not as much running out as it is not having enough for what we want to do. Many of the worlds fresh water aquafiers are used in unsustainable manners, that should hardly come as a surprise.

Ground water depletion

google "fresh water depletion" as needed