Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 05:06 PM

Default Re: 1 year/almost pooh-bah post(very long, probably boring)

Oh, I see. I thought to myself, man, this kid can't drop out if his sense of value is that screwy? How on earth is the extra 15 days worse than th first 30 [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2005, 05:26 PM

As someone who dropped out of school and decided to play poker for a living, even though the two decisions were unrelated and happened a year apart, DON'T QUIT. In two weeks I am moving back to Columbus so that I can finish my degree, but now I've wasted a year and half of my life. Forget all the professional, career advice, if you have any self-respect then one day you will want your degree finished.

Scott
Old 12-01-2005, 05:26 PM

Newhiz, appreciate you putting your "story" out there. I'm solidly in the camp advocating get an (formal) education, but I can understand the arguement that if you're not dedicated, it's a waste of time and then you factor in the opportunity cost of the current earn you could be making ... So, let me throw out an alternative suggestion - be deligent about putting a regular, fixed amount away every month into an education savings account. Establish a goal and a schedule to build enough savings that will always be there to get a university education for when you are ready. In a year or two, or 3, or 5 you'll have an incredible opportunity to go back to school, in something you're interested in and excited about, and have it paid for and not have to worry alot about money. Leverage what you want to do today (and think is best) to keep doors open for you in the future. 2 cents from me, but an education is damn important in so many ways. Best of luck!
Old 12-01-2005, 05:33 PM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

stay in school. i hated it but i did it. poker will always be there. school and what you have achieved so far will be more difficult to return to than poker would be to play full time(a little too wordy, but you catch my drift).
Old 12-01-2005, 05:45 PM

This is one of the best of these kinds of posts I've ever read.

If you need a little nudge to stay in school, maybe this will help.

I just graduated with a BS in Computer Science this past July, after going on and off for -- no joke -- 17 years. Almost every single day since I got to shake the dean's hand I am truly grateful that I finished. It makes my day better to know that I did that after such a long time. I never had that feeling the many intermediate years when I never took a class. Sometimes I was ambivilent, sometimes I felt guilty, sometimes anxious. But never happy & relieved. If you finish school, maybe it will make some random Thursday a little better for you too.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:04 PM

Don't be a fool-stay in school.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:28 PM

Hi hizzle,

[ QUOTE ]
I am pretty much surviving on rakeback at this point yet taking shots at 100/200.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed your post.

Good luck,

Trish [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2005, 06:39 PM

Great, honest post.

Right before I left for my first year of college, some 30-something guy told me, "they'll be the best 4 years of your life." I didn't buy it then, but looking back now as a 30-something guy, he was probably right. It was like a 4 year vacation with thousands of people my age (including numerous hot chicks), I got to learn as much as I wanted about anything I wanted to learn about, and at the end I had a much stronger brain, many excellent experiences, life-long friends, and a degree that helps me career-wise and gives me and my family pride. Before you drop out, think about every opportunity you have at school and decide whether none of them really matter to you, AND if they absolutely won't matter to you years from now.

Also, quit f-ing with the law. The law wins. You almost can't get any more -EV than that.

Finally, don't f with addiction(s). If you've been to AA with open eyes and ears, you know they can tear apart the strongest, smartest people no problem.

Sheesh, I sound like a grandpa...
Old 12-01-2005, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AA was where I found my new addiction and prospective career, gambling.

[/ QUOTE ]

The irony.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes you can make tons of money at poker, but the thing you really need to be concerned about is psychological/mental burnout.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP sounds like he is moving up limits extremely fast, and this concerns me, more than it should, perhaps.