Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 11-28-2005, 04:39 PM

Default villian pairs his door

I almost always fold when a villian pairs his door, but since I had aces I thought I'd see if I could make 2 pair. I had him on 2 pair, but maybe he was chasing a flush? Was the check on 5th weak? I was worried about a check-raise. When he bet on 6th, I just gave up. What's my line here?

7 Card Stud High ($2/$4), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (hand converter (use internet explorer))

3rd Street - (1.00 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ___folds
Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ___brings-in ___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ___raises

4th Street - (3.00 SB)

Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ___checks ___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ___bets

5th Street - (3.50 BB)

Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ___checks
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ___checks

6th Street - (3.50 BB)

Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ___bets
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ___folds

Total pot: (3.50 BB)

Results:
Total pot $14 | Rake $0
Old 11-28-2005, 04:46 PM

Default Re: villian pairs his door

Yikes. I would fold on 4th when he pairs his board. The pot is small and deuces are totally live. Just be done with it.

Ok, so you read him for two pair or less. If you're betting 4th, make it a double bet...seems you didn't (unless it doesnt come up in the HH). 5th is ok to me.

On 6th, since you've made it this far, you have a clear raise. You caught his deuce making trips less likely and two pair will not reraise you. On the river, bet if you catch the ups and check behind if you don't.

Jeff
Old 11-28-2005, 04:56 PM

Under what scenario will you bet if villian pairs his door? Obviously, if you make trips that are higher than his door:

Villian:
(xx)22
Hero:
(QQ)3Q

What if you have:
(QJ)QJ
Old 11-28-2005, 04:58 PM

I've seen too often when the bring in will call a completion with pure crap that I don't generally put him on trips when he pairs his doorcard on 4th. In fact, hero may very well be ahead here. Like Jeffage said, this pot is small so just checking behind on 4th and tossing fifth aint a bad idea. But if you're gonna play it, then go for it. I'd double bet 4th and bet out on 5th. If he's still around on 6th then it's time to check behind when you don't improve. Odds are you'll get a free showdown if he doesn't have trips.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:08 PM

Sorry, for some reason I thought he bet 4th and you called. My bad. In the scenario you described, I would probably bet the maximum and see what he did. My other comment still stands about 6th street though...you've come this far and nothing has really changed. Now you catch one of his cards making the hand you were scared of less likely. I'm raising, allowing myself to bet the river or showdown as I see fit.

Jeff
Old 11-28-2005, 05:44 PM

Dude, I wrote a terribly long post about this exact same scenario a few days ago. Go find it.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:11 PM

this is one situation where i think you are right to call on fourth street. even at 5-10 often you will see nothing more than the pair showing in this situation.

on sixth street why are you folding?? you just caught a two making it more likely he has two pair and the pot is large enough that you should call especially because you will make a bet on the river when you hit but neednt call if you miss so you have some implied odds on the good side.

Pat