Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2005, 12:58 AM

Default aces all the way

7 Card Stud High ($2/$4), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.88 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___completes___raises
Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___folds

4th Street - (8.38 SB)

Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 5: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (5.19 BB)

Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 5: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (7.19 BB)

Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 5: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

River - (9.19 BB)

Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___???
Seat 5: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___

Total pot: (9.19 BB)

Who bets this river and why?
Old 11-26-2005, 01:23 AM

Default Re: aces all the way

Bet the river.
(1)He's not likely to have a straight.A 9 & a J are already gone so he had to hit a 3 card draw to make it.
(2)If he has only 1 pair he is likely to call you for the size of the pot.
(3)He can't raise unless his hand can beat A's up(not likely),so you can fold comfortably to a raise.
(4)If you check,he's not going to bluff at it,because he knows you will like call with a pair of A's because of the pot size.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:52 AM

that is a very complete answer... thanks
Old 11-26-2005, 02:54 AM

I don't see any value in betting the river. There is no shame showing down Aces that didn't improve. You're risking two bets to get one, and I don't think they will favor out in the long run, unless you're playing in a very loose game and you know you'll get called just to prove it.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:26 AM

I'd say given his passivity throughout the hand and his board, he's unlikely to have a hand which beats a pair of aces, and it's very unlikely he can beat aces up. Assuming he's a typical player, he won't raise on the river with two pair, but he will probably bet if you check, and I assume you will always call a bet if you check the river. He will also probably call the river with a pair. This means that you lose an extra bet every time he has two pair, regardless of whether you check or bet, but if you bet, you gain a bet when he doesn't. And as was said, if you're raised, it's an easy fold, so if he improves to trips, you still lose only one bet.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:59 AM

Easy bet. Like others have said, he will check behind unimproved but bet when he makes two pairs. Don’t let him do that.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:14 AM

One thing to consider is that his cards for improvement are fairly dead.. (His Q, T, and 7 are all in your hand.) This makes it harder for him to improve. Value betting here is the sign of a good player.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:38 AM

I don't think this is an easy bet for these reasons. Villain could easily bet 1 pair, trips or better and check 2pair!!
Call only with 2 pair
And only raise with trips or better.
(notice this is similar to the heads up on the river in TOP)

This may sound like a good creative player, but there do seem to be some donks who stumble into this strategy. I think the thought process on the river goes like this
-checked to with pair of queens- guess he really was bluffing at me and if he wasn't he'll still probably fold.
-checked to with 2 pair- I don't want to feel like a fool when he check raises me with aces up.
-bet at with 2 pair- he probably hit his aces up, i'll call
-bet at with trips or better- I've got him, raise.

If this is your player than checking your aces everytime is the profitable play since you lose a bet when you bet unimproved aces into his unimproved queens Vs. the always bet river and fold to a raise method. Further, what happens if 1 in 10 times (or more) he raises with his unimproved queens, not so much as a though out strategy, but just 1 in 10 times gets the 'gut feeling' he can bet you off or just feels like he's the man from time to time? The bet and fold to a raise strategy starts to lose some more money.

So I guess my point is, even against weak players in a party or pacific 2/4 game, you still need a good read on players to know how best to play marginal hands on the river, or more likely, how to get 4 people to call a capped river when you've made your aces full.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:51 AM

I don’t want hijack your thread, but this fits in nicely I think.

My opponent is somewhat loose (but not terrible) and a bit passive but liable to re-raise on 3rd or at least 5th with a premium pair.
I was planning to fold to a raise - haven’t ever seen him do anything fancy.

7 Card Stud High ($2/$4), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.75 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 5: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 8: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (3.25 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (2.63 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (4.63 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

River - (6.63 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___calls
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

Total pot: (8.63 BB)

Results:
Main Pot: $33 | Rake: $1.50
Old 11-26-2005, 12:37 PM

I like it.