Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 01:38 PM

Default Dalai Lama, Buddhism and science

I meant to post this a couple of weeks ago. Perhaps it has already been discussed. But Tenzin Gyatso, the Dalai Lama, recently wrote an interesting editorial in the New York Times entitled "Our faith in science." Particularly interesting for the readers of this forum to discuss, I think, is the following paragraph:

[ QUOTE ]

If science proves some belief of Buddhism wrong, then Buddhism will have to change. In my view, science and Buddhism share a search for the truth and for understanding reality. By learning from science about aspects of reality where its understanding may be more advanced, I believe that Buddhism enriches its own worldview.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may read the entire editorial here.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Dalai Lama, Buddhism and science

"...(Buddhism) has the characteristics of what would be expected in a cosmic religion for the future: It transcends a personal God, avoids dogmas and theology; it covers both the natural and the spiritual, and it is based on a religious sense aspiring from the experience of all things, natural and spiritual, as a meaningful unity." (Albert Einstein)
Old 11-24-2005, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Dalai Lama, Buddhism and science

[ QUOTE ]
I believe that we must find a way to bring ethical considerations to bear upon the direction of scientific development, especially in the life sciences.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think he needs to look into socio-cultural anthropology.