Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 02:39 AM

Default My girlfriend wants me to stop playing!

So tonite my girlfriend decided to tell me that she thinks I need to play (a lot) less poker. I admit, she is correct; sometimes I am less attentive to her than I should be, etc, etc...

I am a senior in college. Currently I play 15-20 hrs/week. So she says "lets determine how many hours you should play per week..." I'm thinking, "ok, she'll say like 10ish".

"Adam, I want you to play 3 hours/week or less!"

Well geez, didn't expect that one. So, of course I have no doubt that I can do that, but I explain to her that this is my job. This is how I buy us dinner and movies. I explain how I am playing well within my limits, that I never risk any sizeable portion of my money.

Now, of course I'll choose her over poker any day of the week, and if it comes down to that, let there be no doubt. I just can't get across to her the idea that it is simply a part time job. I have no intention of letting it become my life or livelihood.

Basically, I am willing to play less (or none at all), but I'd like to hear y'alls feedback on this topic. Surely there are people out there with some girlfriend experience...
Old 11-15-2005, 02:46 AM

Default Re: My girlfriend wants me to stop playing!

[ QUOTE ]
So tonite my girlfriend decided to tell me that she thinks I need to play (a lot) less poker. I admit, she is correct; sometimes I am less attentive to her than I should be, etc, etc...

I am a senior in college. Currently I play 15-20 hrs/week. So she says "lets determine how many hours you should play per week..." I'm thinking, "ok, she'll say like 10ish".

Well geez, didn't expect that one. So, of course I have no doubt that I can do that, but I explain to her that this is my job. This is how I buy us dinner and movies. I explain how I am playing well within my limits, that I never risk any sizeable portion of my money.

Now, of course I'll choose her over poker any day of the week, and if it comes down to that, let there be no doubt. I just can't get across to her the idea that it is simply a part time job. I have no intention of letting it become my life or livelihood.

Basically, I am willing to play less (or none at all), but I'd like to hear y'alls feedback on this topic. Surely there are people out there with some girlfriend experience...

[/ QUOTE ]

Play the 3 hours she suggested. But remember. You're still in college, bro. You need a good 5-10 hours a week to "study". You want to graduate, don't you??
Old 11-15-2005, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So she says "lets determine how many hours you should play per week..."

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't do it man. You have to stop this now. This has nothing to do with poker - once you start letting her tell you what you can and can't do, it's all over. You're still in college - hold onto your balls while you still have a grip on them.

Seriously. If she wants you to commit to spending more time with her, that's fine. But don't let her start telling you can and can't do with your own time.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Play the 3 hours she suggested. But remember. You're still in college, bro. You need a good 5-10 hours a week to "study". You want to graduate, don't you??

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a bad idea. Havent you guys learned anything from rounders? Slowplay your big hands, raise 50xBB heads up, and lying to your girlfriend all bring happiness and money! Seriously, if you care about her do not lie to her about this. Either stop playing as much, like she wants, or don't and explain to her why it is important for you to play x amount of hours a week. If she is worth it you guys will be able to work something out. Weaseling your way out of it with lies is NOT a good idea.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:33 AM

1) She sounds like a controlling bitch. Tell her that if she really loved you she would accept you for who you are and not sit down and have an intervention about how much poker you play.

2) If you agree to this, you lose forever. First it's poker, then it's hanging out too much with your friends, etc. etc...don't fall into this trap. Make a stand for what you want to do with your free time.

3) The way I handle this with my girlfriend is to make sure she is the most important thing in my life WITHOUT sacrificing my own personal life. This might sound like contradictory advice, but it's not. For example, you can wine and dine her every week and say nice things and make sure you are there for her when she is having a bad day. But you also let her know when you are playing poker and that this is not up for negotiation or argument.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:34 AM

Ask her how many hours a week she spends watching TV and talking on the phone. I'll bet it's a lot more than 3.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, do you remember how much free time you had as a college senior? You have class maybe 15 hours a week and if you don't do extracurriculars you have a good 40-50 hours of free time a week to screw around. And that's not including going out at night. There's plenty of time to work and play poker.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:13 AM

Dump that bitch, she'll only hold you back in this way or another
Old 11-15-2005, 05:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ask her how many hours a week she spends watching TV and talking on the phone. I'll bet it's a lot more than 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

It should be clear already that logic won't cut it with her.

Women are the rake in life.
-Worm
Old 11-15-2005, 05:54 AM

I probably wouldn't go as far as dumping your gf, but I'd certainly sit down with her and discuss why you play "so much" poker (maybe 5 face-to-face games a week? Or a couple of hours a day?). Perhaps if you describe it as a hobby and demonstrate that you're not actually losing any money on it, she might accept it.

IF she doesn't, then you've got (repeat "got") to think about what YOU want. Which is more important - your life as present without poker, or the fun of being single (playing as much as you want to) and chasing after skirts...

I hate to say this (having come from 2 LONG relationships during Uni myself) but being single and having the freedom to do whatever you want to does have a great deal of benefits. And you can always masterbate.