Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Is Nothing Possible?

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how nothing could pop into existence from nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what?
Old 11-04-2005, 02:50 PM

seems like the problems stems from the way humans think. We love to make analogies so when we think of "nothing" we first think blank sheet of paper, well how about space... theres nothing there. but there is you realize, space is something, therefore its not nothing. I guess this is a roundabout way of saying that the unverise encapsulates all space and time, what is outside of the universe or what came before it is asking the wrong question. its like saying the answer to a calculus problem is a passage from a poem.the TRUE nothing is what is not in the unverise, but since we have no experience and no way of conceptualizing that fact our tiny brains keep spinning with no tracting trying to find something (no pun intended) to hold on to.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can't imagine nothing - the nothing before the universe was born -if it didn't always exists. I decide on God and go from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Translation: Humans have no experience with "nothing" before the universe, so I choose to invent a Santa Claus-like figure to conveniently answer all these unknowns.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you insinuating about Santa Claus here. Becuase I know he exists!
Old 11-04-2005, 03:29 PM

Is this like "straight line thinking?" If I know one thing to be true then this must apply to every thing/situation?

I smile whenever a deep space probe or photo baffles scientists. Or seems to contradict something they've long held to be fact.

For me, in my simplistic way, I find the answer is my inability to know how God "thinks." If He does, in fact think - as I understand thinking.

Man continually discovers things as we go along. And we continually find things we can't explain or understand. It's always been that way and I'm betting it's going to continue for a long, long time.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can't imagine nothing - the nothing before the universe was born -if it didn't always exists. I decide on God and go from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Translation: Humans have no experience with "nothing" before the universe, so I choose to invent a Santa Claus-like figure to conveniently answer all these unknowns.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite. It is only after one turns one's head towards God that one is able to witness Him.

I am really not interested in responding to posts like yours - so I will refrain from doing so in the future. The only reason I did so here is because my original reply was perhaps, too general a statement. I assumed - and I am sure Stat understood what I was saying - it would not to be taken as a complete statement.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this like "straight line thinking?" If I know one thing to be true then this must apply to every thing/situation?

I smile whenever a deep space probe or photo baffles scientists. Or seems to contradict something they've long held to be fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

You misunderstand science completely. Science seeks testable explations for phenomena. It is the domain of religion to hold untestable "facts" as being the truth of how things are.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Man continually discovers things as we go along. And we continually find things we can't explain or understand. It's always been that way and I'm betting it's going to continue for a long, long time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man also continually discovers explanations for, and eventually understands, things previously unexplainable and poorly understood. That's the fun part, the part which many so casually dismiss as the "unknowable workings of the mind of God" or some such.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:18 PM

I think, therefore I am.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I question whether nothing is even possible and this is why I'm agnostic and recognize the possibility of a creator or even an omnipotent God. I just cannot imagine the reality of NOTHING, because even the reality of nothing is something!

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like at least a couple leaps in logic here. Suppose it is impossible for us to actually conceive of *nothing* or to conceive of there being nothing. It doesn't follow that it is impossible for there to be nothing.

Suppose it is a necessary truth that there has to be something (i.e., suppose now that it is, in fact, impossible for there to be nothing). Why does this mean that there must be a god?
Old 11-04-2005, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is only after one turns one's head towards God that one is able to witness Him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Once one believes in God he becomes much more believable.