Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 10-27-2005, 12:48 PM

Default Simple DVD Burner Question

First, I know almost nothing about computers. I do know that I have a CD player in my computer that I can also write files to. But this cannot play a DVD movie disc (even though my computer itself seems perfectly capbable of playing a movie).

I am told that in order to stick in a Seinfeld CD and watch it on my computer, I need to purchase and install a DVD player for that. I am also told this is better because when I back up files a DVD will hold more info than a CD. Is this true?

Would anyone have any recommendations of what kind of DVD to buy and where to buy it? How much should I spend? Should I get one online, or just go to a CompUSA? I'd really appreciate any info. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Simple DVD Burner Question

If Seinfeld is on a CD you will be able to play it now, but you mean DVD don't you?

"I am also told this is better because when I back up files a DVD will hold more info than a CD. Is this true?"

Yes

"Would anyone have any recommendations of what kind of DVD to buy and where to buy it? How much should I spend? Should I get one online, or just go to a CompUSA? I'd really appreciate any info."

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827129165
Old 10-27-2005, 01:05 PM

Thank you!

Yes, I have a Seinfeld DVD which someone purchased from a store as a gift. I can play it on my DVD player, but not on my computer.

Also, thanks for the link. I take it this is the one you'd recommend for me? Do I know that this will fit into the same slot on my computer that the CD player is in now? Actually, I have 3 similar slots in the front of my computer. No chance the one you linked WON'T fit, is there?

Also, how much do you think I'll save buying this online as opposed to going to a store right now? I hate shopping! I have time today to install it. If it's only a couple of bucks, I'd rather just go out right now and pick one up and install it. Thanks again for all your help.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:13 PM

It will fit, standard size. And yes I would recomend it, gonna get it myself soon. The price with shipping is prolly the same as in the store so do what you want [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I always order my stuff online, I hate those salesmen in stores trying to sell you all crap and then ask stupid questions.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:23 PM

From a quick glance at Circuit City and Best Buy websites, this drive looks to be about $20-30 cheaper than similar drives on those sites.

And, I agree with MyMind re the annoying staff. I'd also like to add, they often don't know what they're talking about.