Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 01:02 PM

Default ATs and a nice flop.

B&M $12-$24 game.

Villian is a tight aggressive player who I've played a fair amount with. He likes to make moves, and he is a good hand reader.

Game was 5 handed before this hand came up. I was open raising frequently, and Villian 3-bet me liberally during this time, i.e. A9s.

15 minutes later, game is now 9 handed, I open raise UTG with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], a bad player cold calls, Villian 3-bets, another bad player in the BB calls, I cap it, they call.

4 players (8BB)

Flop: T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet, bad player calls, Villian raises, BB folds, I 3-bet, bad player folds, Villian calls.

2 players (11.5BB)

Turn: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet, Villian calls.

2 players (13.5BB)

River: blank

I check, Villian bets, I call.

Thoughts?
Old 09-12-2005, 01:18 PM

Default Re: ATs and a nice flop.

Fold preflop. I don't understand the preflop cap either.

Everything else looks fine could bet the river but you may induce a bluff with a check.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:21 PM

considering the bad players in between I like the cap. do you think if you checkraised the flop you could have gotten four bests in again? i assume you lost to QQ or JJ though.

where do they spread 12-24?
Old 09-12-2005, 01:22 PM

c/r the river. that guys got KT or QT or some crap. he'd pump the turn with an overpair. your hand is good.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:10 PM

I think you lost to QQ/JJ. Bet the river. 99/88 might call but probably won't bet. I can't see him with a busted draw.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why?

This should be an easy raise IMO. Capping is debatable...

Thanks,

Guido
Old 09-12-2005, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop. I don't understand the preflop cap either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel the open raise preflop is fine.

As far as capping, I've got a nice suited ace in a big multiway pot with two bad players. Also, Villian could be raising me light, so it's not certain I'm up against a monster. There is a small chance I have the best hand plus if he has some medium pair he may misread my hand on a scary board. I also want to notify him that 3-betting me with marginal hands is going to get expensive.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:06 PM

Default Thoughts and results.

I lost to QQ as some posters guessed.

My main question was on the flop/turn line I took. Highlife suggested checkraising the flop to get 4 bets in, and I think this is a valid line that would have worked.

After the hand Villian said he didn't raise the turn because he thought I could have kings. So now I'm wondering, if I smooth call the flop raise and checkraise him on the turn, or him + another player on the turn.....it looks like a big hand: flopped set, or a big pair. He might lay down QQ. From a pot equity perspective it can't be that bad with all my outs, and I know that the chance he lays down is > 0.

Anybody like waiting for the turn to checkraise/represent a monster and try to push him off of an overpair?
Old 09-12-2005, 03:35 PM

Default Re: Thoughts and results.

[ QUOTE ]
After the hand Villian said he didn't raise the turn because he thought I could have kings. So now I'm wondering, if I smooth call the flop raise and checkraise him on the turn, or him + another player on the turn.....it looks like a big hand: flopped set, or a big pair. He might lay down QQ. From a pot equity perspective it can't be that bad with all my outs, and I know that the chance he lays down is > 0.

Anybody like waiting for the turn to checkraise/represent a monster and try to push him off of an overpair?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is just no way this guy who thinks you are FOS is laying down an overpair here. Never. Ever. Especially whe the pot is so large. The only way for ou to win this hand is to catch one of your many outs. Hard to represent a flopped set on a ten high boad that you capped preflop unless you have exactly TT in your hand.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:39 PM

Hi Fianchetto,

I liked the way you played it very much. I would not have capped preflop, unless my whole intention was to jam it like I have a big pair all the way through. It would be great to do so if it were still five-handed and headsup, but now you have another two players.

On the river, I would prefer a bet. He doesn't respect you anymore right now and will pay you off with any pair anyway. It sure seems he has something with which to call down and I would hate to have him check behind. If he has you beat with a higher pp, bravo to him for not raising your turn bet.