Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market

Old 09-09-2005, 06:22 AM

Default Re-online broker

The only stocks I trade now seem all to be English.Can anybody reccomend a broker where I can trade through a Roth,these online foreign stocks?TY
Old 09-09-2005, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Re-online broker

Check out http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/main.php
Old 09-10-2005, 03:01 PM

Question: why do you want to place foreign equities and trade them in a Roth IRA account? Don't know about you, but I don't want to have to babysit my IRA account.

You may want to do some research if you're looking to difersify your holdings into the international realm and find funds that you can buy and hold over a long period of time that invest in similar issues internationally and remove the burden from you of market watching. Consistent equities trading in a ROTH is going to eat up your returns in commissions and kind of defeat the purpose of investing and putting your money at risk. Personally, I'd rather trade international equities in a brokerage account and use the proceeds to make my IRA contributions. Kind of a win-win situation if you're fortunate enough to have decent returns and invest that unearned income into your Roth.

FWIW.

Sticky [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 09-10-2005, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Question: why do you want to place foreign equities and trade them in a Roth IRA account? Don't know about you, but I don't want to have to babysit my IRA account.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are actively managing your investments, there is no reason not to actively manage your IRA. In fact, there are significant benefits to actively trading in your IRA, specifically no taxes on short term gains.

That said, OP didn't specifically say that he was going to be day trading the foreign stocks, it seemed he was just looking for an appropriate broker to which to trade foreign stocks.

[ QUOTE ]
Consistent equities trading in a ROTH is going to eat up your returns in commissions and kind of defeat the purpose of investing and putting your money at risk.

[/ QUOTE ]

If done right, an active trader doesn't worry much about commissions, as the returns more than justify the activity.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:33 PM

Good points, Sniper.

The only additional thing I'd add is that someone who does choose to actively trade within an IRA consider the costs of commissions, percentage of the realized gains those commissions represent, and the effect that the trade will have on the return of the overall portfolio. Certainly, sometimes, you've got to sell something or want to get into a particular issue, but considering the general investing public follows the "odd lot" theory of investing & buys high & sells low, I'd caution any unseasoned investor before venturing into foreign equities. (Not to say that the original poster is unseasoned or whatnot...) What's happened in the foreign market is done by the time you or I are at our desks in the morning, and some investors aren't willing to see that a stock took a hit and now there's nothing they can do about it except put in a sell order.

Active portfolio management has significant benefits if you're managing with an overall goal and asset allocation strategy in mind. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Sticky [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2005, 10:42 AM

I use to trade a little during the online craze.I only have about 16,000 in my roth.Compared to mutual funds and my wealth,it's not much.Figured I'd play around a little with these online gambling plays.I want to switch because I don't like the bulletin board and like to see an actual bid and ask.If I want to trade,I'll just stay up.It's gotta be alot easier than dealing with this garbage.Had it been simply on nasdaq,I would have been up more by now or lost..lol