Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Practical knowledge for HS students

Teach them what an employer is looking for. Set up mock employment situations. Teach them the "get the job done" "ask what to do next" attitude. I've seen 40 year old white college educated guys get fired for sitting on their asses and not looking for things to do at work. They'd tell me, "if they want me to do something, they'll tell me." Another guy dressed like a lumberjack at work. The rest of us dress in trousers and dress shirts. I told him that his clothes were out of sync with the rest of us and he should step it up. He replied that if they had a problem with his wardrobe, they would tell him. They didn't tell him anything about his wardrobe. They fired him after 2 weeks.

Work ethic.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:36 AM

What city are you in?
Old 08-31-2005, 11:53 AM

I had a teacher in HS that spent time every day and ocasionally spent a whole hour (if we were ahead of the schedule) teaching practical stuff.

The two most useful things he taught and we role-played was conflict resolution and creative problem solving. Also a bit of light negotiation skills.

He did it in such a way that this stuff wasn't over anybody's head and I believe everyone in the course took away more than just science from the experience.