Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 02:44 AM

Default Sexy draw easy turn check?

SB is TAG build, i've only had 15 hands agianst him so far
UTG is your typical LP, but raises pf a decent bit more.

Obviously flop play for value, the turn's my question clearly.

Sets up a c/r if I hit the 12 outer, I lose the pot when I dont pretty much.

Standard or can I make these guys fold enough?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, Button calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (11 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks.

River: (11 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 12 BB
Old 08-26-2005, 02:51 AM

Default Re: Sexy draw easy turn check?

easy turn check. they both stuck around for 3 bets on the flop so one on the turn isn't going to scare them both off.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:53 AM

Thanks,
DERG is affecting my confidance in my plays.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:58 AM

Bet the turn!
Old 08-26-2005, 02:59 AM

why?
Old 08-26-2005, 03:02 AM

I think the chance of getting people to fold + the chance you make your hand is worth a turn bet here. You get to check behind on the river if you miss &amp; think they will call again.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:07 AM

SB clearly likes his hand. He isn't folding, he may raise and he can plainly beat your A7 right now. You have the opportunity to take a free card to try to draw out on him at no cost. Why would you not take it?
Old 08-26-2005, 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the chance of getting people to fold + the chance you make your hand is worth a turn bet here.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) 20% a flush comes in
2) 6% you spike an ace
3) 6% you river a one card gutshot draw

Except for the flush neither one of those hands are really worth writing home about. So, let's say 25% you're hand is good, which makes it 3-1. Not getting value on the turn bet alone. How often exactly do you think they're folding? I'd say less than 5% of the time.

You do get to check behind on the river if you don't improve, but that's a pretty worthless benefit since ace-high is almost certainly no good here.

However if you check behind you lose nothing when you don't improve and when you hit your flush you might get one of them to lead into you so you can raise them. the implied odds of your hand are a lot higher if you check, because all you're going to get out of them on the river is one bet more than likely, if you hit.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

3) 6% you river a one card gutshot draw

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont think it changes the answer but we have an oesd here.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:15 AM

Your draw is so huge, with its 18 potential outs (9 flush, 6 straight, 3 top pair) that a turn bet could be for value against just two opponents, if you get called twice.

Getting checkraised instead would not be good, though, if this checkraise finally scares UTG away (though if he folds, that could possibly buy you two top pair outs that you wouldn't have had otherwise).

Also, UTG is playing like he's drawing, so you may not have quite as many outs as it appears (if he has 76, for instance, or even just two diamonds).

Anyway, I doubt you'll take it down with a turn bet. (I don't think SB is folding whatever he 3-bet with preflop very often in this big pot -- at least not yet.) Could a bet perhaps set up a river steal on a blank, though? That could be asking for a lot, but with such a big draw, you don't need that much folding equity to make pursuing a steal worthwhile.

I don't know. The turn check behind seems fine to me, really, but I also don't think you even mind getting checkraised a whole lot, so long as UTG doesn't fold.

So I am tempted to bet.