Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 02:22 PM

Default Re: $50-$100, AKo

I think you played the hand fine.

What did MP2 have?
Old 08-16-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Preflop -- I hate your play!!! Either fold (probably best), or cap to try to knock out UTG.

[/ QUOTE ]
What?

[/ QUOTE ]what do you mean what? what he said was pretty simple and i agree.

[/ QUOTE ]
Does a cap knock UTG out very often? I agree that if both are tight and solid that folding is probably best, but I don't think folding UTG is the reason to cap.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:42 PM

What a weird hand. I don't see anything very wrong with any of your decisions. I don't think that preflop matters, although I tend to agree with cold calling. Mostly because it gets you some extra info at very little cost, and can make good players think that you're fishy. On the flop I usually call, intending to raise the turn. However, I may be wrong, I'm not that confident in the plan. I think that the way you played it, the turn is standard and the river is really tough. I think that I would be chopping with MP2 or UTG, I'm pretty sure that there's no way you win the whole pot, which makes folding a lot easier.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:00 PM

Default How about 3 betting the turn?

UTG's hand looks a lot like ours, and if MP2 had JJ or AA, you'd think he would have come to life on the turn. If you're planning on calling one bet on the river, why not 3 bet the turn? I suppose this creates a icky 3bet fold to a cap metagame problem, but its something to consider.

lf
Old 08-16-2005, 03:49 PM

The thing is -- when you haven't put any money in yet, you should either play your hand like you are ahead (cap) or play it like you are behind (fold). If you think you are +EV against your opponent's hand ranges, you cap. If you think you are -EV against them, you fold. It's really not possible that your hand is good enough to play for 3 bets, but not good enough to play for 4.

Gaining information is valuable, but so is concealing it. By playing this as a cap or fold, you give your opponents less information than if you sometimes cap, sometimes call 3 cold, and sometimes fold.

And yes, sometimes UTG will fold in this spot if it is capped.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing is -- when you haven't put any money in yet, you should either play your hand like you are ahead (cap) or play it like you are behind (fold). If you think you are +EV against your opponent's hand ranges, you cap. If you think you are -EV against them, you fold. It's really not possible that your hand is good enough to play for 3 bets, but not good enough to play for 4.

Gaining information is valuable, but so is concealing it. By playing this as a cap or fold, you give your opponents less information than if you sometimes cap, sometimes call 3 cold, and sometimes fold.

And yes, sometimes UTG will fold in this spot if it is capped.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you never cold-call or limp preflop? You must be one of those 21/21 characters I see from time to time.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:42 PM

Default Results

UTG held AcKc.

MP2 took it down with 66.