Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 08-03-2005, 09:47 PM

Default KQo hand. Why am I always so afraid to bet the turn?

I hadn't been at this table long so my only read was that UG+1 played too many hands and called too much.

Party Poker 2/4 (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero raises, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

<font color="blue"> Good raise right?</font>

Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero bets, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds.

<font color="blue"> Pretty obvious here. </font>

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks.

<font color="blue"> This was the reason I made this post. I was very scared to bet because I felt like I would have to fold to any raise. I didn't want to be bluffed out of the pot so I cursed and checked. At the time I felt like it was a horrible play because of the 2 hearts and str8 draws on the board and the fact that I was letting 2 opponents draw for free. Help! </font>

River: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG bets, Hero calls, BB folds.

<font color="blue"> No heart came and no new str8 came, but I continued to play like a little girl and just called. Does anyone raise here? </font>
Old 08-03-2005, 09:56 PM

Default Re: KQo hand. Why am I always so afraid to bet the turn?

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> I was very scared to bet because I felt like I would have to fold to any raise. I didn't want to be bluffed out of the pot so I cursed and checked. At the time I felt like it was a horrible play because of the 2 hearts and str8 draws on the board and the fact that I was letting 2 opponents draw for free. Help! </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet. Don't fold to a raise. You already know the reasons you have to bet-- you can't let them have a free card on this draw heavy board.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:58 PM

Gotta bet the turn. Most unknowns won't check-raise the turn unless they have the jack. The other option is that he's getting tricky with a worse queen, but I don't think you can assume that's the most likely case.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> I was very scared to bet because I felt like I would have to fold to any raise. I didn't want to be bluffed out of the pot so I cursed and checked. At the time I felt like it was a horrible play because of the 2 hearts and str8 draws on the board and the fact that I was letting 2 opponents draw for free. Help! </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet. Don't fold to a raise. You already know the reasons you have to bet-- you can't let them have a free card on this draw heavy board.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're calling down a check-raise? I suppose this isn't too bad, depending on who does the check-raising, and whether the other guy is coming along too.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're calling down a check-raise? I suppose this isn't too bad, depending on who does the check-raising, and whether the other guy is coming along too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think we should call down a check-raise. Here's my thinking: A check-raise could easily be a semi-bluff (check-raise seems pretty good with something like QT) and the pot would be about 10BB at that point. Even if a check-raise was a jack, we'd have up to 6 outs to draw out.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:17 PM

You should feel very comfortable betting this turn. If you do get raised, you have at the minimum 5 outs (gutshot - 10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] + queens), so you can be comfortable that calling down is not very -EV.

If I had Q2o, THEN I might be uncomfortable betting this turn because it would be hard to call a raise. But I would bet it anyway.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think we should call down a check-raise. Here's my thinking: A check-raise could easily be a semi-bluff (check-raise seems pretty good with something like QT) and the pot would be about 10BB at that point. Even if a check-raise was a jack, we'd have up to 6 outs to draw out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ack, missed the fact we have a gutshot. I need to start actually reading posts.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should feel very comfortable betting this turn. If you do get raised, you have at the minimum 5 outs (gutshot - 10 + queens), so you can be comfortable that calling down is not very -EV.

If I had Q2o, THEN I might be uncomfortable betting this turn because it would be hard to call a raise. But I would bet it anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are right on the turn.

What about the river, given the way I played the hand?
Old 08-04-2005, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You should feel very comfortable betting this turn. If you do get raised, you have at the minimum 5 outs (gutshot - 10 + queens), so you can be comfortable that calling down is not very -EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are right on the turn.

What about the river, given the way I played the hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

The way u played it you gotta call man.

Im also of the opinion that that is not a bad turn for u, unless someone has a J. If u were ahead on the flop, ur still ahead on the turn...if u were behind, then well, you're still behind, but u have a gutshot and outs to a FH.

If he check raises this turn, ur getting about 8.5:1, so its an easy call with 6 outs (although if he has a str8 he's tying up one of your gutshots out and you are really drawing to a chop or 2 queens for a win.) -- still easy call. Bet.