Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 07-30-2005, 07:44 PM

Default C\'mon....does anyone seriously not TILT?

Like many of you, I chant 'long-term' like a mantra. Zen Buddhism colors some of my personal philosophy. I've read Zen and the Art of Poker, the oft-quoted poker detachment text.

I started 3/6 6 max this month and have been just breakeven over 4000 hands. This feels like running bad to me, and I started questioning myself, compounding my poor play, and becoming an kind of assholish outside of poker. Over the last 1000 hands however, I've finally swung up to 1.5BB/hour and I'm elated. I have energy and enhanced clarity of mind. I realize I'm tilting in a positive manner...and I like it.

Honestly, has anyone totally abolished tilt from their consciousness?
Old 07-30-2005, 11:24 PM

Default Re: C\'mon....does anyone seriously not TILT?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My goal is actually the opposite of this.

I want to know the very instant that tilt has crept in.

Once upon a time, I thought I was better than everyone else and could beat the tilt monster into submission forever.

I no longer believe that this is a useful approach and simply consider each hand on its own. My first decision in every hand is no longer preflop, it is predeal.

My first look is at myself in the game. Am I still playing my best? Yes? OK, I'll look at my cards now.

No? I don't even look at them anymore. I just get up and take a break.

If I can't recover in a reasonable amount of time, then it's time to call it a day.

I've never lost a bankroll since implementing this strategy.

BTW, if I realize that I haven't checked my own status in 15 minutes, then it's quitting time too.

These days, for me, it's play for keeps or don't play at all.

I can't think of any other way to get to the HL games.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My goal is actually the opposite of this.

I want to know the very instant that tilt has crept in.

Once upon a time, I thought I was better than everyone else and could beat the tilt monster into submission forever.

I no longer believe that this is a useful approach and simply consider each hand on its own. My first decision in every hand is no longer preflop, it is predeal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like it. Instead of denying or attempting to quell tilt, you've developed a routine to manage it. I'm going to give this a shot during my next few sessions.

To all you other players, is there anyone who honestly believes they have transcended tilt? Is this possible?
Old 07-31-2005, 03:17 AM

get rakeback

this makes running even alot nicer

i dont tilt because im massively overrolled for my game

when i take shots higher i can freak out at bad beats
Old 07-31-2005, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
get rakeback

this makes running even alot nicer

[/ QUOTE ]
/\ same

also, once you've been beaten by that 2 outer 1000 times, its hard to get mad at the 1001th time.

unless you're in a tourney or something, but i dont play those often.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:11 AM

Tilt is generally not regarded as a form of consciousness or thought. It is PLAYING badly because of emotions.

Some people rarely play badly for more than a few minutes because of emotions. I don't. If I see that I'm playing badly because of emotions, I go home.

Some people don't even have to go home because they don't let emotions negatively affect their play.

Regards,

Al
Old 07-31-2005, 07:19 AM

When I'm running bad I try to think about my next rakeback payment coming in. Other times I quit. Sometimes I keep playing and give myself a checkup every 20 minutes or so. I say "If you play stupid during this period, you stop."

Its self discipline. I yell at myself. I say "My the next ten hands, I will play as best as I possibly can. No excuses" I then pay extreme attention to the next few hands, and so on.

But to be honest, every so often I tilt bad. I don't do it for too long, and I don't just into stakes higher than I can afford.

So, yeah. I have not transcended tilt. I've just found a way to limit its affects on my bankroll.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yessir. This sure helps, but I found myself in Tilt Heaven in a little 8-16 game not long ago and it surprised the crap out of me. I think I made the worst play in a decade and it was as if another person were inside me, moving my chips around. I was only sitting there wasting time while I waited for another table to get going. It took me 20 minutes to walk it off. Embarassing? Hell ya.

This has been discussed to death but I think Tilt, or more precisely controlling Tilt, is one of the game's attractions for me.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:48 AM

I am pretty sure I dont tilt. Just to be sure I stop playing when I lost a lot but I dont really feel bad about it. Better safe than sorry [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
I always was a calm person and I have a progamer background so I know how to handle pressure and stuff. I love making money through poker but I dont really need it, I guess that helps too.
I remember one time where I got angry while playing, but my experience was very limited up to then.
Now I am pretty sure that I am a winning player and even more sure that I will make a lot of money playing poker in the future. I know which kind of downswings I have to expect in 6-max so why bother if it will all come back to you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I was surprised that so many players have problems with tilt, considering that the massive swings in 6-max probably are VERY good for me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-31-2005, 11:35 AM

1. Zen and the Art of Poker is a great book. This was my first step taking charge of my emotions in a poker game.

2. I think Dov's advice is fantastic. I implement a routine similar to this in my games and it really helps. The hardest part about this is recognizing when you're starting to tilt (and I define tilt several different ways: impatience, tiredness, bad beats, so on).

3. Bankroll is so important. I'm sure this is self-explanitory. You can't win money if you're defending your last $10.

Lastly, you mention a upswing tilt. This is great, but sounds dangerous to me. Once you've caught a few bad beats you'll define yourself as on bad tilt when it may not be so.