Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 11:40 PM

Default Re: a theoretical question

[ QUOTE ]
Well, it's very theoretical, impossible online, and against the rules in person, so it's not worth too much effort

[/ QUOTE ]

As I mentioned in my original post, I think it has basically zero relevance to SNG playing. I just think it's an interesting question about tournament/ICM theory. I'm a professional dork, your mileage might vary.

[ QUOTE ]
but I'm sure there are situations where it would be advantageous and those would most likely be middle pairs where you would be likely to be called by any hand that dominates you anyway and you don't want to be called by some overcards that might call if you didn't show.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my original intuition as well for SB vs. BB confrontations, but the thing is that if the SB has a reasonable sized stack, the BB will generally be going from folding something like 85% of hands to 95% of hands, so you don't gain a whole lot of dead money, but your equity when you get called goes absolutely down the toilet.

[ QUOTE ]
Hands that are underdogs, but have odds to call, will call you. The BB is assumed to play perfectly, not just hands that are favorites. In the original thread you will find Karlson explaining this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I stand corrected.