Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 07-06-2005, 08:13 AM

Default $22 - fear my minraise

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (6 handed) converter

MP (t2340)
CO (t1535)
Button (t3495)
SB (t1640)
Hero (t2875)
UTG (t1615)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls t50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t150) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="red">SB bets 50,</font> <font color="red">Hero raises to 100 </font>, 2 folds

Final Pot: t250
Old 07-06-2005, 08:48 AM

Default Re: $22 - fear my minraise

Me no like.
If SB has any piece of the board he's not going anywhere. He ended up folding, but you probably had the best hand anyway.

His bet tells you nothing really. I'm all for attacking weakness, but his bet isn't exactly inconsistent with a monster.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If SB has any piece of the board he's not going anywhere. He ended up folding, but you probably had the best hand anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's unlikely that he has a piece of the board, which is the reason I did it.

[ QUOTE ]
His bet tells you nothing really. I'm all for attacking weakness, but his bet isn't exactly inconsistent with a monster.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this, but I think that's actually a fairly decent argument for making this play here. First off, this most likely gets the third player out of the hand, which just calling is much less likely to accomplish. As to SB, let's say I call and pick up a K on the turn, and SB fires out weakly again. Now I'm in a position where I'm pretty up in the air about how to proceed, and probably call down rather expensively. Now if I minraise here, I'm trying to represent donkishly played trips (it is a $22). This will fold him not infrequently if he has air, in my opinion. If he himself has an 8, he's likely to do one of two things here: immediately reraise, in which case I have an easy fold and haven't put too much money in; or call and check to me on the turn, figuring I'll bet again. I can check behind on the turn and have what will most likely be an easy decision on the river with a reasonably small pot.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:37 AM

There's nothing wrong with your play. It's fine really. Sort of like completing the SB against a random BB with two cards and auto betting the flop. It will work most of the time, but I just like to pick my spots where its obvious Villain doesn't really like his hand.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:52 AM

Hey, whatever works

Was that a misclick?
Old 07-06-2005, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Was that a misclick?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was all manwolf, baby.